NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Forget aperture fever. I've got APO fever!!

Andrew*

I had a 4 hour drive down to carlisle yesterday and a 4.5 hour drive back up, via Bathgate. In Carlisle I met up with a lovely gentleman of whom you all know - Mike Bacanin. In exchange for a little pile of cash, I got this:

image.jpg

I then set off with a heavier load back north, and stopped off in Bathgate, where I came across another very nice chap called Kenny, aka "Kenny-10-bellies". In exchange for another, rather too small, pile of cash, I obtained this:

image.jpg

And now, along with the C100 ED-R on a CG5, I have this:

image.jpg

:shock:

oh my god!

I think 4 telescopes and 2 mounts should do me... ;)

I've just spent ages working out how to get this set up. I've settled at simply screwing the ED80 dovetail onto the tripod mount on the top of the tube rings. Seems secure... Mind, 4 counterweights is still not quite enough... :shock:

Andrew

P.S. My thanks to Kenny and Mike for great deals and superb service...

Andrew, why didn't you come and see me if you were in Carlisle. Still, I suppose you were too excited to give much thought to anything else.

Hope you have great times with the new baby. Was Carlisle the midway meeting point, surely Mike doesn't live in the Border City?.

Cheers Ron. ;)

So.. you now have an 80mm and a 100mm Refracter, can I ask why? I assume I am missing something, is one better for planets and one for wide field?

BTW That was a great price for the HEQ5, I tried but failed to persuade the missis that I needed it ;)

Craig,

put yourself in this situation:

You're in this guy's house. You've brought a car along. You've got a bank card on you and a cash machine down the road. There on the sofa is a aluminium case. Inside is an ED80 with a crayford focuser, an RDF, and a dielectric diagonal. All for £100. Yes, that's right - £100. Even when I was knocking on the lovely door-knocker, I was thinking to myself - this guy must have made a typo - it's £200!

What would you do?

Yes, now I have an ED80 and an ED100. I think the 100 might have to go with the CG5 it came on, leaving me with a widefield apo and a big newt.

Andrew

I emailed Kenny minutes before he posted an ad on SGL. There were crazy things going on in my mind.

I was thinking off holding on to the lot until the bank manager gets on the phone... afterall, there's no such "planet killer" without the 100...

Andrew

P.S. Kenny, I hope you don't mind my saying all this...

yes I know... ;)

More money...

What do you mean "More money". You've saved a ton buying the scope, that will pay for it.

:wink:

Yes but just because I've saved on what I could have spent on it, it really doesn't mean I have more money...

Andrew, nice to see the mount with its new ota's sitting on it. hope you have many great views!

Thanks mike. I'm sure I will :(

Andrew

£100 was the price to the guys in the club, and your mail arrived literally moments before I was about to press the button to post it here for £150 with delivery on top. First come first served, as they say. I dont mind, I got it for a song and just wanted to cover the cost of the little ST80 OTA I ordered to replace it, and the ED80 was just too big for my little 8" SCT to carry. Your shiny new HEQ5 and lightbucket carry it well, it looked like a tank gun on mine.

Archived