NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Camping

Mav359

hi guys

I'mbooked in for SGL8 but I haven't been camping since I was 7 and even that was in a motor home with the old man. I have to buy everything from scratch, I've been putting what I think is a pretty comprehensive list together which I'll have you guys look at before the event but on the subject of a chair I can't seem to decide on what would be good and more importantly comfortable.

I'm more interested in imaging then visual so it's more of what makes a comftable chair to sit at during a session and in the morning when I'm recovering from beer related injuries having breakfast.

What have you guys got? Would would recommend I buy or avoid?

Cheers

Nothing wrong with a normal camping chair. Be wary of the quality as some do fall apart very quickly and get one with a back. I have a really annoying one with only a band across the top, no support and really difficult to slouch in it. Cup holders in the armrest are great but get an insulated mug that'll fit the cup holder. If imaging, plan to use a plastic box to bring the laptop to a comfortable level. I find these chairs very poor for observing unless you are looking straight up with a frac or SCT.

I think it is difficult to combine a very comfortable slouching chair, with an observing chair. Just look at some of the observing chairs made on here - fantastic, and adjustable for observing but you wouldn't want to relax in one!

My slouching chair is a Vango Moonchair DLX. It is enormous, padded and supports your head too. Worth a look.

Stu

I think it is difficult to combine a very comfortable slouching chair, with an observing chair. Just look at some of the observing chairs made on here - fantastic, and adjustable for observing but you wouldn't want to relax in one!

My slouching chair is a Vango Moonchair DLX. It is enormous, padded and supports your head too. Worth a look.

Stu

yeah that looks like my kinda lazy

Hi Alan,

Camping chairs are an individual thing.

What is perfect for one person is a nightmare for somebody else.

Your best bet is to go to a camping shop and try out various chairs. Don't buy anything for a while.... see as much of the potential gear first.

Remember that it needs to be transported to the site, together with the astro gear. This normally means a full car load.

The best bit is packing after the star party to go home............

I use Coleman chairs costing approx £40 each. I find them comfortable and they are the right height for a camping table.

I suspect you will need a camping table as well. Coleman do a nice fold away table plus two bench seats (seats 4 people of slimish build) for £80.

I do not recommend the canvas chairs sold at service stations, I find them extremely uncomfortable.

If you publish your list, we can advise accordingly.

See the camping thread under star parties, it has some useful help.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived