Binocular Tripods

I would say this would be difficult unless you have binoculars that have the eyepieces at 45 degrees.

With the eyepieces straight out I cannot think of any tripod or mount that would make this easy as the binoculars would need to be such that you would be up against the tripod with your head at an uncomfortabole angle.

"Normal" binoculars were intended of holding and really the design is a day time bright view design.

We can use them for astronomy but they designed telescopes for astronomy not binoculars and perhaps this is where the intended purpose starts to show up the shortfall.

45 degree eyepiece binoculars can handle astronomy but they cannot be used realistically for birdwatching. I guess that this is where the binocular design and the application starts to fail.

The problem is not really the tripod, although the above suggestion is one of the tallest ones for the money (details here). The problem is the pan/tilt head which sits on top of the tripod and is limited in the angle that you can point it at given that the best 'seeing' is close to the zenith. If you are wanting a cheap solution to assist viewing from a chair, the only thing I can suggest is construction a parallelogram style mount out of wood, similar to this one. They can be purchased ready made but like a lot of astro kit they unfortunately quite expensive. Hope that helps.

James

Thanks Toxolight and others for suggestions. A question of either time and diy expertise - and I don't really have the latter - or money which I would rather spend on my telescope. The binocular is an addition to use when I haven't got the time or inclination to use the scope and I was interested in exploring the possibilities.

Many thanks for the replies which were as expected - but just in case there was a clever, cheap option!

The cheapest method I know to steady a pair of bins, is to use a yard broom with a cloth over the broom head :)

John.

Archived