Daniel-K

34x200 secs

iso800

modded 550D

30 darks

39flats

SW LP filter

about 1.4 hours worth

quite disappointing in this really after the other night i was expecting more color. i processed 32min worth of data i managed the other night and seem to have more color in that then the 1.4 hours from last night.here's the two images ones 32mins and the other is 1.4 hours. i prefer the 32min it has more color bot processed the same :confused: and im struggling with vignetting!

the one on the left is 1.4 hours and the right is 32min

post-6284-0-01591600-1348765526_thumb.pn

post-6284-0-58992500-1348765814_thumb.pn

Even the best flats will not give you immunity from gradients. If you ran these images through Dynamic Background Extraction in Pixinsight you'd be amazed by how much easier it would be to stretch and cut back using the familiar 'levels and curves' routine. You have more galaxy in the long image but you also have more LP and gradient. If working in poorish skies DBE would be an incredible boon. Even for me at a thoroughly dark site it's a Godsend. A cheaper alternative would be Gradient Xterminator, a Ps plug in, but it is not as sophisticated. Pixinsight would also lose the greens that are upsetting your colour balance but the Deep Sky Colors website has a freebie called Hasta La Vista Green...

Olly

the sky was a bit dewy last night but what i cant get my head around is the short one has no darks or flats its just simply 32min of data and it looks far better, im going to restack and see what happens, just took 40 new flats with the method mentioned above, thanks olly for the tips

Hi Daniel,

The histogram looks typical.

Try moving the left hand slider (black pixels) up to the start of the curve. You can try moving the centre slider (grey pixels) a little to the left. This will improve the contrast of the image.

Press 'cancel' to start again.

Always crop your image to get rid of any black borders that may be present after stacking. Otherwise you'll have a distorted histogram to start with.

Regards, Colin

Archived