Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser for Equinox 120mm

No the one in the middle is the Baader Steel track, a 100 Quid cheaper that the Moonlight but still very highly regarded. I would have thought the focuser on the Equinox would be a little better than the one in the link

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I found this one for Synta refractors

Link : http://www.astroshop...aktoren/p,11388

Is thath it?

No, thats for the ED series. You will need a specific flange for the Equinox, which Moonlite do supply. The Equinox focuser screws onto the OTA.

The one that Woking linked to is the right one as it allows you to specify the correct flange.

Moonlites are lovely. I have one fitted to my Equinox 80.

The Baader Steeltacks are nearly as good. Speak to TS and they will get you the correct flange to fit your OTA

I'm not a Crayford fan but use a Baader Steeltrack for imaging with a very heavy full frame CCD, filterwheel and off axis guider and it generally does very well.

One thing to watch carefully, though, is the replacement process. The attachment method is pretty primitive and its important to get the new focuser properly aligned with the optical path. There was a long running thread on here about this issue, though perhaps the Equinox has a better system than the ED, I don't know. Ideally the rear of the main tube should be internally threaded but I don't know if this is the case with the Equinox?

Olly

At a slightly less expensive end TS do a selection of focusers for a refractor, they have a smaller choice but that might make it easier.

http://www.teleskop-...Motorfokus.html

Send them an email and they may be able to supply further information, they have a couple of Crayfords and Rack and Pinions.

They have brands other then their own, Baader, Moonlite, Orion Starlight etc. So a fair choice. Deepends if you want to upgrade and to what budget. I would probably just opt for the TS Rack and Pinion. But ask here about that in case there are any issues.

I'm not a Crayford fan but use a Baader Steeltrack for imaging with a very heavy full frame CCD, filterwheel and off axis guider and it generally does very well.

One thing to watch carefully, though, is the replacement process. The attachment method is pretty primitive and its important to get the new focuser properly aligned with the optical path. There was a long running thread on here about this issue, though perhaps the Equinox has a better system than the ED, I don't know. Ideally the rear of the main tube should be internally threaded but I don't know if this is the case with the Equinox?

Olly

The Equinox has a threaded collar on the OTA that the focuser screws into. Vastly superior to the absolutley crummy three locking screws used on the ED80 scopes.

Crummy :grin: but it works ok, not had a problem fitting my moonlite and not heard of issues from other ED moonlite users on here?

Agreed. My Moonlight has gone onto my ED120 Pro without a problem and the result is an excellent focuser that is precisely aligned with the optical axis of the scope without needing to resort to the collimation facility that the Moonlight focuser has.

Agreed. My Moonlight has gone onto my ED120 Pro without a problem and the result is an excellent focuser that is precisely aligned with the optical axis of the scope without needing to resort to the collimation facility that the Moonlight focuser has.

Same as that, really easy to fit and it's just transformed the scope. When I removed the focuser I discovered that the paint was chipped when the screws had been slightly over tightened, that kind of thing annoys me. To rectify this cosmetic blemish I bought the thinnest, smallest washers and sprayed them matt black before fitting the focuser. The chips are covers and the hex bolts have a slightly better purchase.

Fair enough. In theory it looks crummy, but in practice it works fine. :icon_salut:

I'd agree that it's basic. The fit and finish of the ED120 Pro is standard Skywatcher - basic but functional. What they got right were the optics which, in my opinion, are excellent for the price.

William Optics did a more "up market" set of clothes for these optics in their Megrez 120:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-megrez-120.html

So I guess "you pays your money and makes your choice" :smiley:

Fair enough. In theory it looks crummy, but in practice it works fine. :icon_salut:

I think that's a little harsh, I don't for a minute think those scopes look crummy. There can't be many on here with out a SW in their arsenal. The optics are sound ( much better than sound most would say ) and they are very easily pimped. You can have them any way you want in the fullness of time, not everyone can afford the scope of their dreams in one shot.

I think that's a little harsh, I don't for a minute think those scopes look crummy. There can't be many on here with out a SW in their arsenal. The optics are sound ( much better than sound most would say ) and they are very easily pimped. You can have them any way you want in the fullness of time, not everyone can afford the scope of their dreams in one shot.

I didnt mean that the scopes are crummy. The method of connecting the focuser to the OTA, in theory, looks a little crummy. It would appear to be open to mis-alignment. However, in practice as others have testified, it works .

I have an ED80 and the optics are great on them.

Archived