Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

today i bought a celestron c8xlt, how can i attach a telrad

I used zip ties to fix the telrad base to my scope. Done up properly the base doesn't move.

Are you planning to use the Telrad in combination with an optical finder? I was thinking about this the other day and even with a fairly long focal length eyepiece I do wonder if the scope isn't going to have too narrow a field of view for the Telrad to be useful on its own.

James

Perhaps someone who uses a Telrad on a long focal length scope can provide better advice. My concern from the usability point of view is that unless you have an eyepiece with a very wide field of view then you're not even going to be able to see the area in the smallest Telrad ring through the eyepiece. If that's the case then an optical finder with a wider field of view might be quite helpful as well as it would allow you to get close with the Telrad and then get nicely centred using the optical finder.

James

Mine is stuck down using the Telrad-supplied stickies... apparently the glue comes off quite easily with a little solvent if you ever want to remove it permanently. Mine is on an SE mount, so the obvious place was on the top, 90 degrees around from the dovetail.

You can get >1 degree FOV out of the C8 fairly easily with a 2" EP (or a reducer), so as long as you get the object you're after on the smallest (0.5 degree) circle you should be bang on.... of course, I cheat as my mount is motorised only :eek: As James says, you might want some kind of optical finder on there too for much wider views, and keep all 3 aligned. With the XLT it should have a 6x30 I think(?), which should be OK, but I don't really get on with the inverted image.

Congrats on your purchase, btw, the C8 is a fine scope :cool:

Different scope but I use a Telrad tied on with plastic-cable ties. Works a treat, solid fix and the ties can be snipped and replaced any time I fancy. Would be slowed up quite a bit without the Telrad but on the f/10 would be lost without a decent viewfinder scope.

Archived