Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Megrez 72 current worth?

Hello,

I'm planning on clearing out some of my lesser used equipment to go more mobile and don't really want to sell my WO Megrez 72 but if I have to, does anybody have any suggestions as to its current value?

Basically its second hand and its the earlier model without the electronic screen / focus thing!

Its optically sound but has some of the paint missing from general use (a couple of bits here and there).

The lens is a bit dirty on the front but just needs a clean and doesn't seem to effect the optics.

There is however a dead spider inside it and I have no idea how the hell it got there but I've used it for ages and didn't notice it and it never changed my images that I know of!! :smiley:

So giving all that what would be a suitable asking price?

Ste.

A dead spider knocks £70 off the price?!! *dusts and cleans all scopes and eyepieces*

With the other issues, yes. Astronomers are fussy. They will buy something in less than good condition but only if it's a really good price. Often it's not the issues that are noted in the advert that count but the possibility of other issues becoming apparent once the new owner has the scope. I'm not saying that Ste's scope is an example of this but it's just the "caveat emptor" thing working.

If you could sell the scope somewhere that folks could handle it for themselves (eg: a star party) then you might be able to ask more but buying more or less blind (as many transactions happen) buyers are bound to be cautious.

Still, nothing to be lost by sticking it on UK AB&S with a comprehensive description and some decent photos and see what the interest is - I could be being pessimistic !

Archived