SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Going to Australia...advice

hozepipe

Hi folks

haven't posted here for ages, hope all is well.

I'm about to go on a trip that will take me to the southern hemisphere (Fiji, NZ and Australia, though also Hawaii (N Hemisphere) but hope to visit the observatories at manu Kea). Can't take a scope on the trip myself but I'll have 10x50 binos.

I've had dreams about seeing a southern sky, can't believe I'm going! Wondering if anyone has been and has any astro advice - places to go, kit to take (anything light thats usable as a tripod with binos??), noteworthy or surprising sights too see in a southern sky and just general tips and guidance that might be useful.

cheers!

hp

Where do I begin?!

Mauna Kea has observing nightly, I believe, at the Onizuki Visitor Center at 9,000 ft. You can call them to confirm. I managed to commandeer a C14 for a few hours around midnight and went a little nuts, but noone seemed to notice, except the crowd that gathered. Targets depend on a number of factors, but I'd go after all I could see in Scorpius, including M6 and M7, just east of the stinger stars in the tail. There's a nice wide angle view of a globular, variable star, double star and nebula around Ngc 6723 in Corona Australis. The "Table of Scorpius, Ngc 6231, and surrounding area is spectacular. It's also called the Northern Jewel Box. Nice galaxy group in Grus of Ngc 7552, 7582, 7590 and 7599. It's probably a Hickson group, but the number escapes me.

Of course there's lots more, but it's all I have time for right now.

Hozepipe

Having been lucky enough to go on the trip you're doing you're in for a treat!

I took a pair of binos, a light tripod, a 70mm Mak spottiing scope and the Canon 350D

Even with a 70mm scope you can see a lot from the dark skies where you're going.

In Aus, Fiji and NZ good sights include the Large and Small Megallanic Clouds, Southern Cross, and Omega Centauri. Or just gaze in awe at the Milky Way as you've never seen it before. Enjoy !

MD

Thanks for the info guys - I've been looking at the excursions to the observatories, and I didn't realise that Manu Kea was so high actually, I'm going to have to go by myself and leave the kids with the wife as noone under 16 can go. Probably for the best ;)

Yeah, the milky way is supposed to be stunning, I can't wait to see it, and the magellanic clouds. It's going to be mad seeing the constellations upside down, I'm sure I'll be totally lost!

Obvious really but don't forget star charts. Familiar stuff is all topsy turvy and so much new stuff.

Mauna Kea - warm clothes - it's b**** cold up there. When you are at the top take it steady even a short walk will leave you gasping. You will be driven up in a 4x4. You get to the top take a brisk walk of 20-30 yards to the first scop and colapse in a heap. ;).

Rob

Spent all of March and April in Western Australia, and am going back out again this year.

The Southern sky is quite a strange sight to us Northern Hemisphere dwellers. It was really strange seeing Sirius almost at the zenith, and Orion when looking North, instead of South. He was also upside down :wink:

Remember also, that that out of the world's 25 most poisonous snakes, Australia has 21 of them :shock:, and don't touch the spiders ;)

No, its not that bad really, in the two months that we were there, the only snakes we saw were in the zoo :(

Did see a Red Back spider in our daughter's back garden though!!.

Dave

Obvious really but don't forget star charts. Familiar stuff is all topsy turvy and so much new stuff.

Mauna Kea - warm clothes - it's b**** cold up there. When you are at the top take it steady even a short walk will leave you gasping. You will be driven up in a 4x4. You get to the top take a brisk walk of 20-30 yards to the first scop and colapse in a heap. ;).

Rob

yeah, its high up! The company I hope to go with provide arctic parkas! And its an 8-9 hour trip.

Hi, I'm new here, indeed this is my first post here!

Highlights of the Southern Sky:-

Stuff like Orion and Taurus being the wrong way about. The Moon being upside down. The Sun going around the sky the wrong way - this fooled me when planning a sunset shot behind Sydney Harbour Bridge which came out great but not as planned as the Sun drops down to the left, not the right!

The really good stuff - the Milky Way is fantastic from a dark site - you see right into the middle of the galaxy. Then there's the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, the Southern Cross, Alpha and Beta Centauri - A being the third brightest star in the sky, and Canopus is the second. The Eta Carina Nebula is fabulous in binos. The Jewel in the Crown for me is 47 Tucanae which I saw through a 15" Dob during an observatory visit - "It's full of stars!". Make M13 look a bit puny to be honest.

So, enjoy!

Paul.

http://www.pevans.me.uk

One thing I've always wanted to do is compare Omega Centauri, which I've seen, to 47 Tuc, which I've not. I didn't mention Crux or Alpha Cen, mostly because I think they'll be low at sunset, and LMC and SMC because they'll be up late, or have I got my seasons wrong way 'round?

yeah, its high up! The company I hope to go with provide arctic parkas! And its an 8-9 hour trip.

When we were there a day trip had been arranged to see the scopes this finished with sunset at the top. There was a second trip that we were interested in that ran later and included use of 10 and 12 inch Meades set up above the cloud line. We arranged to be left at the visitor centre by the first tour to be picked up by the second. All together a cracking day out. Some pictures - follow 'stars' link on my web page http://www.dipplestars.co.uk

Rob

When we were there a day trip had been arranged to see the scopes this finished with sunset at the top. There was a second trip that we were interested in that ran later and included use of 10 and 12 inch Meades set up above the cloud line. We arranged to be left at the visitor centre by the first tour to be picked up by the second. All together a cracking day out. Some pictures - follow 'stars' link on my web page http://www.dipplestars.co.uk

Rob

Looks like a great time. I really can't wait. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the timing of the trip - like you say there are different times to go up, but I'd also like to see inside the Keck scopes, haven't worked out when visiting is and which trip to take...

I spent 4 weeks in Australia and New Zealand in late 2001/early 2002 and bitterly regret the fact that I got no real stargazing done as we were too keen on getting around and seeing things during the day.

All I can say is make sure you take the time to do some stargazing. Were I to go back in time I'd be happy to use just a pair of binoculars. The one evening I did get a look I was very disoriented at all the constellations being different but gradually they started to fall into place (thanks to a map or two).

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!

James

All I can say is make sure you take the time to do some stargazing. Were I to go back in time I'd be happy to use just a pair of binoculars. The one evening I did get a look I was very disoriented at all the constellations being different but gradually they started to fall into place (thanks to a map or two).

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes!

James

Will do. I plan on just taking my Bresser 10x50s (and some maps!). Would be nice to have some kind of tripod or something. If I bought a cheap camera tripod out there does anyone know if there's a head that can adapt it for astro use with binos?? Must be small and light though if I'm to take it with.

We're hiring a camper van for one leg of the trip so hope to be away from city lights at some point...

Good idea to take some small binos at least. It's amazing to see the milky way in all its glory just with the naked eye, against a jet black sky (and this was in a fairly urban area) We loved Australia. So much that our application for a permanent visa is pending.

Forgot to add... HAVE A GREAT TRIP!

Archived