NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Contemplating a new GOTO scope.

I'm contemplating getting either a Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO or a Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO as my second scope.

The main reason being my Manual Celestron Powerseeker 127 is no good for photography.

I can take pictures upto 30secs, but any longer and the single axis drive I bought a year ago doesn't

do the job. To get good images stacked, it seems I need subs of about 120secs or longer.

I think I'm ready to get a GOTO and concentrate on getting some good subs.

Many of the images in the gallery have inspired me and I think its time to move on

from my first scope after 2 years of observing.

Also, I haven't got a steady hand.

Just entering coordinates and not having to touch the scope would be a big bonus.

I'm not to worried about getting a bigger mirror at this stage, from what I've seen with good subs, there are some amazing images made with a 130mm mirror.

Not sure which of the 2 scopes is better.

Yep Capricorn is quite right. What you need is a GEM - German Equatorial Mount based setup. A GEM can be polar aligned with the rotation axis of the earth; an Alt/Az style mount cannot. I wouldn't by a setup for astro photography that wasn't based on a GEM mount.

i would seriously concider buying "make every photon count" as the first step. it's a great book for anyone considering getting into ap and could save you a lot of money in the future. it will tell you the bare minimum mount etc thats required and walks you through the whole imaging process. if you've already got it then sorry for the post. hth

Scott

Good advice from the earlier posts.

I would add a couple more ideas.

First look at the scope and mount as separate items, rather than buying a package.

The package deals usually have the smallest (flimsiest) mount you can get away with for visual use.

For photography you need a much more rigid mount.

For example my SW200P on CG5 is great visually. But on the edge for photos.

Second. Buy the most rigid, heaviest, mount you can carry and afford.

If you are permanently fixng, then your wallet limits the mount.

If you are carrying in/out every time, then your back limits the mount.

For example, my (excellent performance) Alter D6 is in the obsy on a concrete pillar.

At 35Kg for the mount and another 35Kg for the tripod, then the counterweights, it is not geared up to 'grab n go'.

The CG5 is easy to carry to the garden, car boot, etc. But won't handle a heavy scope.

To me, an EQ6 is probably the carry limit.

With a heavy duty mount you have free hand on scope choice.

Then, look at the 2nd hand kit on offer.

You will pay significantly less than new price as well as finding it easier to mix the mount and scope to suit what you want to do.

I'm in the same position as Tibbs. I'm now aware of the limitations of my EQ-5 non-GOTO mount both for finding things and for astrophotography.

I'm looking at the EQ-6 too. The only thing that puts me off is having owned the EQ-5. Frankly, the EQ-5 is a pile of poo mechanically.

Is the EQ-6 very very much better? It would have to be to make it worth having. And what are the alternatives in the same price bracket, or slightly more expensive?

You could use your existing EQ1 mount for wide field astrophotography with camera lenses up to 200mm focal length. There are modifications you can do that will allow you 5 minute exposure times and computer-assisted image recognition means you don't need GoTo so much.

You can make a simple camera mount for not much money.

SnS/Astroboot sometimes have the low cost rolled and drilled dovetail bars. Sort of a fiver from memory. You can just put a 1/4" tripod screw straight through to the camera.

If the lens is heavy consider a cheap plastic 60/70mm scope clamp (astroboot again) with a block between the dovetail and clamp to lift if needed. Then fasten this instead to the lens. Maybe a bit of extra foam packing needed inside the clamp.

There you have it, camera onto dovetail, on the cheap.

Archived