Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help, smears after cleaning

If you want to be safe, you can't beat disposable lens tissue (e.g. Pec-Pad). Kleenex is risky, because you can't be sure there's no grit trap in the tissue during the manufacturing and transportation process. After all, you are unlikely to noticed any impurities in normal use.

Also, only move in straight line, don't use any circular motion. If there is grit in the tissue, you will notice one scratch and would stop. When you wipe in a circular motion, you risk rubbing in and continuously scratching the lens without you noticing. You eyepiece will live if it's just one small scratch, but it would be ruined if you get multiple scratch rings on the surface.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many astronomers have used kleenex with no ill effects over the years. That should speak for itself. If following the proper lens cleaning procedures. Most anything can be contaminated in the manufacturing process.

Kleenex is no more riskier than Pic-Pac. Just your preference. Pat

The description by pianorealm is almost exactly what I'd do. Cleaning in a circular motion pushes dirt, grit, loose fibres or lint outwards as the cleaning progresses but by using very little pressure the risk of scratching is minimal.

AndyG

The main thing when cleaning optics (be it bins,scopes,EPs or even glasses) is to make sure there is not grit on the glass. Once you are sure of that, you really can use what you want (within reason).

I clean my eye glasses with fairy liquid and tap water and dry them with a soft cotton hanky.

I clean my EP's with a soft cotton hanky or soft cotton t-shirt. Ive yet to try them with the wonder fluid i bought. They dont really need cleaning.

My SCT corrector plate is sparkling like a diamond. It does not need cleaning.

My 20x90 bins could maybe do with a bit of a clean.

I have used a Lenspen for stubborn eyelash marks. No smearing. But have not decided what motion is best. A straight line or circular motion. Both seem to have their pluses and/or minuses. Pat

I have used a Lenspen for stubborn eyelash marks. No smearing. But have not decided what motion is best. A straight line or circular motion. Both seem to have their pluses and/or minuses. Pat

Apparently when cleaning any kind of glass...........it should be done in a circular motion. Unless you are a window cleaner.

lol.

• 6 months later...

Up til now i have used the cotton t-shirt i am wearing. Works fine for me............once there is no grit on the lens.

Hmm....unsafe. How do you know there are no tiny particles of grit or anything else on your shirt?  Optical repair/cleaning guys avoid tap water as it can and often does contain grit.....albeit tiny particles. You wash your shirt in tap water and you can introduce minute particles of abrasive. Even if it doesn't scratch the glass it will damage the coatings which are relatively soft.

Archived