Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First pair of bino's

I want to get some bino's for handheld use, mainly for searching out hard to see clusters etc. before using my 9x50 finderscope on my 200p.

Are the basic, inexpensive (£30) ones suitable for that kind of thing? I'm looking at some 10x50 types on ebay but not sure if they will be too cheap and end up a waste of time/money.

I only really need them for slightly better views of clusters to aid in starhopping etc.

Any ideas?

Regards

Aenima

I have these.

http://www.firstligh...orro-prism.html

Fantastic clarity and contrast compared to various lower cost binos I have used.

Wouldn't like to be without them. My lower cost binos are now gathering dust.

Some might prefer a 7x50 for a first look, particularly at clusters.

Going down to a 40/42mm objective will save money and weight, but still give reasonable light capture.

Usually FLO do binos on a 'return if you don't get on' basis. Suggest you check and ask.

That removes risk of being stuck with the wrong choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same scope as you and I own a pair of Olympus DPSI 8x40's. I got these because they were lighter than 10x50's, have a wider field of view which I wanted to make finding things easier and are steadier to use (ie. not so many stars jumping around all over the place). I got them for the very reason you want them and have found them very useful. Would definitely reccommend these.

Well olympus seem to be popular. :)

And, actually to be honest at first I was looking to get powerful ones probably due to residual aperture fever left over from upgrading my scope. :)

But while i'm happy to go with Olympus' popularity and word of mouth regarding quality, bendiddley has put forward a good point about stability - and having the 9x50mm finder on my scope I am familiar with 'too many stars' , this is what made me get a Telrad, as with naked eye views you get the constellations as they're seen by all of us and as they are in starmaps etc. but when you peek through 9 or 10x50mm optics hundreds of mostly unfamiliar stars pop out at you from nowhere, and unless you have corrected image, its easy to get lost in all the shiny things. :) So I'm probably going to rethink the power/aperture range but definitely do a search for Olympus products.

I have looked also at both pentax and praktica in a similar price range but these dont have anywhere near the same reputation and +1's to recommend them - if anyone has an opinion on these I would be interested to hear about it. :)

Many thanks for posting suggestions, all the best,

Regards

Aenima

Well olympus seem to be popular. :)

And, actually to be honest at first I was looking to get powerful ones probably due to residual aperture fever left over from upgrading my scope. :)

But while i'm happy to go with Olympus' popularity and word of mouth regarding quality, bendiddley has put forward a good point about stability - and having the 9x50mm finder on my scope I am familiar with 'too many stars' , this is what made me get a Telrad, as with naked eye views you get the constellations as they're seen by all of us and as they are in starmaps etc. but when you peek through 9 or 10x50mm optics hundreds of mostly unfamiliar stars pop out at you from nowhere, and unless you have corrected image, its easy to get lost in all the shiny things. :) So I'm probably going to rethink the power/aperture range but definitely do a search for Olympus products.

I have looked also at both pentax and praktica in a similar price range but these dont have anywhere near the same reputation and +1's to recommend them - if anyone has an opinion on these I would be interested to hear about it. :)

Many thanks for posting suggestions, all the best,

Regards

Aenima

Hi Aenima. It's not that there are less stars, you can still see as many in my opinion as the 10x50's because I have tested these too, what I meant was that they do not jump around from being zoomed in further, meaning they are more steady to look at, this and the wider field of view is the key for me, I can see more sky in the FOV making it easier to locate things from looking with my eyes to looking through the bino's and the sky is more steady which helps to see the star formations better to be able to go to the finderscope and see the same formations. Hope this makes sense.

Yeah, it does. I did pick up on the comment regarding stability, but from the point of view of those stars being numerous as well as moving - not to mention oriented backwards compared to normal finderscopes. I do get lost, and its usually through that finder when it happens. :).

A similar fov and aperture but maybe less confusing, thats what I'm really looking for, I have rethought my original plan to go for size/magnification for the money in favour of an easier time on my eyes whilst viewing. It has gone from me trying to find a pair of 12x60 or 20x70 right down to 10x50 max. Probably 7-8x50 or 8x40 after working through this useful thread, which I'm now glad I started - :) - many thanks to above posts and people.

I noticed you have R.A.C.I. finder, bendiddeley. That would definitely be a big bonus when transfering views between bino's and scope. Though due to the list of things I need before I can save for the correcting EP, I will still get turned around a little bit but the bino's should be a good start. :)

Regards

Aenima

Yes the RACI is a very useful accessory. As you've said it does help with the transferring of views, I don't do inverted images very well so getting this was a necessity for me. I would definitely recommend the RACI to complement the bino's, save your brain and keep it simple is my moto lol :)

If it's any help to you, Aenima, I have just ordered two Olympus DPS-1s from Amazon in 8x40 and 10x50 guise. I was seriously considering either the Helios Naturesport Plus 10x50s, or the Opticron Aspheric WA ZWCF 8x40s for myself but with my ten year old Son showing an interest in the hobby, the price-point and apparent quality of the DPS-1s made it a no-brainer for me.

Archived