Book Question

So I have binoculars and have managed to see quite a few things using phone apps and stellarium. Now I have ordered my telescope and would like a good book to help me starhop :) I have heard good things about Turn Left At Orion and also about Sky & Telescopes Pocket Atlas.

Just looking for aome advice on which is the better or maybe even if I should get both.

Thanks

The book you want is the one that presents information to you in the way that you understand it.

What that book is will be difficult to answer.

Many recommend TLAO, I have a copy of it, I have opened it twice in 4 years.

First time I took a look and thought this isn't right for me, second time was just to make sure.

Some like the diagrams of "What you see through the eyepiece" I sit and think like hell they are.

I have a few star guides, Pattersons is one I think, more useful to me but equally not exactly easy to follow.

The best I have found for me so far is The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath/Tirion, it present information as I like. Perhaps a bit more information would be useful, but never located anything that is similar but has more. Equally never bothered to look too much either.

Other options, the FSC (Field Studies Council) does a guide to the night sky in laminated form, Stargazing Live produce simple flip charts.

Find yourself a good bookshop with a selection of astronomy books/guides and have a look at them all.

Pick a simple one however, also have you any idea what aspevt may interest you? Messiers, Cadwell, Double Stars ?

I have TLAO and Wil Tirions Cambridge star atlas both of which are good generally.Capricorn makes a good point though that you need to find the one that suites you personally. I use stellarium alot and the monthly sky guide out of Sky at Night magazine is very useful too.

There are so many good books out there, and as has been said what works best for each of us is different.

I started out with Nortons sky atlas.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0582356555

It's not just an atlas as it has a great reference section and guides on what to look for on each page of the atlas section.

I also used (and still refer to it ) Robert Garfinkles book on star hopping.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/0521598893

This is a book that not only tells you where to find objects, but just as importantly, how to find them. It has a large section explaining how to use your scope and finder, determining fields of view and orientation to accurately hop your way from object to object. This is followed by monthly star hops, where the author takes you on guided tours around the constellations picking out hundreds of objects.

I now use the laminated version of "Sky Atlas 2000" whilst at the scope. I find this very useful indeed although mine has now fallen to bits :) the spiral bound spine giving up the ghost after 16 years of field use. I'll have to get it rebound as the individual maps are still as good as new.

http://www.365astron...ted-p-2661.html

Mine is the older black on white background one.

I've tried loads of different books and the ones that were most usefull to me we're,

Turn left at Orion

Night watch

Philips guide to stars and planets

The more advanced ones I'm reading are,

Patrick Moore data book of astronomy

Universe

Reading these with the sky safari app will keep you busy for months.

Archived