NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which Apochromatic Refractor ?

badgers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok...

I've decided to go for a new Altair Wave Series 80 triplet Apo FPL53.

On the 2nd hand market I'm unsure about my ability to judge the optics of scopes and there seems to be a lot to contend with.

It's coming with an interferogram optical report a 3.5" focuser, dovetail rings and a case.

I'm not paying for other stuff I don't need like eyepieces and finderscopes.

The focuser looks very good and that will be a critical feature, having to upgrade to a feathertouch would cost a lot.

The price is below budget but I will ask them to organise me a built-to-fit riccardi reducer 0.75 to bring it from f/6 to f/4.5, although that will take a while and will cost quite a bit.

Anyway, I'm off to pick one up tomorrow, unless any of you have any horror stories!

I'm not sure if there's been any imaging posted on here, or reviews of the wave series triplet 80/480 so I look forward to letting you know how I get on with it!

Thanks,

Anton

It looks like a very nice scope. In a description it says "Hand crafted optics: These 80/480 EDT APO optics are hand finished at the final stages of production and repeatedly tested until signed off by the optician in charge." So unless the first owner messed with it then the optics should be okay.

Ok...

I've decided to go for a new Altair Wave Series 80 triplet Apo FPL53.

I had a Starwave 80, Mechanically they are very well made scopes the focuser is really nice the Altair Wave are pretty much the same quality tubes an focuser just with better Glass. I think you will not be disappointed.

There is only one issue to contend with and that is Altair tend to use M48 on the end of the reducers they do, it can be a pain to connect things.

Well, I've got a shiny new Altair triplet Apo f/6 in the boot of the car. It looks fantastic and extremely well made.

I'll be sure and post a mini-review and first light report.

Ian and Nick were very helpful and knowledgeable in the shop and walked me through the scope thoroughly and helped me set up the spacings.

The flattener requires 51.5mm, I reckon I'm at about 54mm but could come in a little if I get slightly different t-thread couplers.

The configuration will be entirely threaded but I don't have space to add a tilt adjuster, so I hope it's close to square.

Anyone got any advice on what to look for when testing the optics ? Any good starfields for spotting aberrations, either for flattness or colour?

The interferogram looks very very good, even slightly better than the example they show on the website, but the proof is in the pudding.

Thank you all so much for your advice in this thread, once again I salute the knowledge of SGL.

I recently discovered that I have the wrong flattener for the Altair 80 and the right one is now on the way. Its visual star test was excellent so I have high hopes for imaging once I have the right rear element.

I hope yours proves a good 'un and suspect that it will. Just mildly miffed at having spent 20 hours working on a picture with the wrong glass in the back but c'est la vie!!

Olly

No worries Olly, I think I remember you mentioning a query about the flattener.

I'm still feeling unfaithful to my Newt by having a refractor waiting for its first light but I'm also tremendously looking forward to it.

I'm hoping that f/6 vs f/5 wont be a major shock to the system in my light polluted skies in Cambridge. I'm sensing more dark skies visits in my future.

I won't mention the email I got back from Markus at APM when I queried the optics on the early LOMO williams optics encased scopes following John's comments above.

He was not impressed! That 2nd hand LOMO scope could be very very nice, but I've not had the kind of interaction with them that inspires confidence.

The guys at Altair have been communicative and helpful the last two weeks with my email chatter and in my book that goes a long way in cementing a relationship with customers.

Anyway, as always thanks for the feedback and advice.....

Well I tried to get out last night for a first light, but failed miserably due to high level hazy cloud ruining everything.

I thought I'd post some pics of the scope as it arrived though in lieu of a proper first light report.

8015594130_043936122b.jpg

The interferogram image.

8015579381_a210099362.jpg

The scope in the flight case it came with.

8015581434_e7c09e73a3_c.jpg

The scope unpacked on its case. It's much heavier than I thought.

8015582476_2a3168264c_c.jpg

The 3.5" Focuser. You can see the finderscope mounting and the rotation system.

8015582717_dc5b90303d_c.jpg

The objective lens inside the dew shield.

8015584950_7bf7d333e8_c.jpg

The tube rings and dovetail.

I'm very impressed with the build and solidity of the whole system, it all looks good and feels very well made.

The flattener screws directly onto the focuser in place of the 2",1.5" screw in system.

The only issues I have are that I can't see a focus locking mechanism, although the focuser does seem to hold position extremely well.

I also can't find any way to screw a 2" Light Pollution filter into the imaging train. I assumed the flattener would be threaded to accept a filter, but the internal threads don't seem to match a 2" filter. I'll ask Altair what the best solution is.

Anton

Yes, the interferogram was part of the deal for organising the scope at Kelling.

I've also figured out how to lock the focuser now, there is a spot where a locking screw can be fitted as far as I can see, although it didn't ship with the screw, but I've got one here if I need it.

I've found a thread inside the flattener before the first lens, but it's not M48 it seems just a fraction larger. I'm wondering if I can get an adapter to M48 so I can have my UHC-S filter as the first thing in the light path.

First tests are in, although it was a full moon last night so I was restricted to Halpha shooting.

I still need to find the sweet-spot for the flattener, but overall I'm very happy.

This is 160minutes of Ha on the Eastern Veil Nebula

8038594617_c406fe3b10_b.jpg

Archived