Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyWatcher Newton 150 / 750

after last nights disaster and also the fact that I was thinking real hard about whether or not to buy a new scope...was looking on ebay and saw this.... http://www.ebay.de/itm/Telescope-SkyWatcher-Newton-150-750-Montierung-Motor-/200817533561?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2067175997318033988%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26#ht_829wt_1271

thinking on biding but then for comparison I found this http://www.astroshop.eu/skywatcher-telescope-n-150-750-explorer-bd-neq-3/p,15330

is this the same scope? if so can someone give me a little help on how high I should or could bid on this scope .....I think it is priced a little high or am I mistaken here :huh: any advise would be appreciated...

rob q:)

Hi Rob!

It depends on what you want to do with your new scope. If you want a scope for visual use only and you like deep sky objects, rembember that the most important thing is aperture. More aperture = more light on the primary mirror = better vision. So if you are looking for a visual scope, I suggest you to buy a dobsonian, which is a newton tube (just like the scopes you linked) on a alt-az dobsonian (and cheap) mount (but the best for visual!). Usually they are manual scopes, but if you prefer a go-to or tracking one, they exist also on dobsonian mounts (but they are more expensive).

So, for visual use, I suggest the biggest dobson you can afford and you can carry (you need a good sky to use it at its best, with few light pollution). Skywatcher, Gso and Meade offer a good option.

If you want to go for astro-photography, the first thing you have to consider is the mount: equatorial (to follow the sky rotation) and solid. Such as a EQ5 or better EQ6. I think mount is more important than scope, in this case.

If you like moon and planets, and double stars too, a good option would be a maksutov, too. But its small field of view (with others factors) make it not so good for deep sky use.

So, as you can see, it depends on what you expect to do with your new scope. So tell us more :) And you budget, too!

From what I can make out they should be the same, the ebay one I guess is older from the colouring, they change over time. The ebay one has at least one motor, probably 2.

Present cost from FLO would be around £350-380 (£290 scope and mount and £80 for dual motors), 425Euro seems a bit high as you say, I guess that the postage is 40Euro.

Reasonable cost would be say £250, so 300-320Euro, about where it is now.

The handset looks a little advanced for dual motors, I exepcted a simple box - maybe I am wrong. Cannot see anything that implies goto, but I haven't looked in depth and I am useless at reading German anyway. There is a site where you supply the web address and it will translate - you can find it, I am not.

The older blue one looks like the original 150P on an EQ4 (EQ5 head on aluminium tripod). The new one is the same optic but in a nicer tube and with a 1.25" / 2" focuser (the old one has just 1.25"). Lighter weight mount, same tripod and no motors.

As above, if you want to use just for visual, then a 200mm f/6 Newtonian on a Dob mount would be better value. If you are looking to start imaging, neither are perfect, the mount of the first one is possibly better if in excellent condition, the optical tube of the second link is much better.

Hi Rob!

It depends on what you want to do with your new scope. If you want a scope for visual use only and you like deep sky objects, rembember that the most important thing is aperture. More aperture = more light on the primary mirror = better vision. So if you are looking for a visual scope, I suggest you to buy a dobsonian, which is a newton tube (just like the scopes you linked) on a alt-az dobsonian (and cheap) mount (but the best for visual!). Usually they are manual scopes, but if you prefer a go-to or tracking one, they exist also on dobsonian mounts (but they are more expensive).

So, for visual use, I suggest the biggest dobson you can afford and you can carry (you need a good sky to use it at its best, with few light pollution). Skywatcher, Gso and Meade offer a good option.

If you want to go for astro-photography, the first thing you have to consider is the mount: equatorial (to follow the sky rotation) and solid. Such as a EQ5 or better EQ6. I think mount is more important than scope, in this case.

If you like moon and planets, and double stars too, a good option would be a maksutov, too. But its small field of view (with others factors) make it not so good for deep sky use.

So, as you can see, it depends on what you expect to do with your new scope. So tell us more :) And you budget, too!

well as a "new" beginner I just like looking and maybe later when I am more experienced then astro-photography mainly because I like taking pics so I would like eq mount with motor drive....(was thinking on buying motordrive for my 4.5" but the more I think about it it is old and not in the best of shape) so a new one maybe even the same size or a little bigger....light pollution is very bad where I am and need something I can take with me with ease. love planet viewing for the time being because that is all I have really seen up to now....at this moment my budget stands between 3 and 400 euro.....but if I wait ,which by the way is very hard, in two or three years I think I would be willing to fork out between 5 and 600.....oh no offence but the Idea of having to keep adjusting scope (dobsonian)to keep object in EP ....I would rather have motor drive also because of future photography

From what I can make out they should be the same, the ebay one I guess is older from the colouring, they change over time. The ebay one has at least one motor, probably 2.

Present cost from FLO would be around £350-380 (£290 scope and mount and £80 for dual motors), 425Euro seems a bit high as you say, I guess that the postage is 40Euro.

Reasonable cost would be say £250, so 300-320Euro, about where it is now.

The handset looks a little advanced for dual motors, I exepcted a simple box - maybe I am wrong. Cannot see anything that implies goto, but I haven't looked in depth and I am useless at reading German anyway. There is a site where you supply the web address and it will translate - you can find it, I am not.

here is a translation of the description on the scope......

The device is not a cheap product and actually almost as good as new as it is only from in the rooms (windows) and was not set up outdoors. The original price was around € 700.

The telescope was used not long and drawn up covered in an air conditioned room. Cleaning of the lenses may be necessary. The device has low usage and little wear. Because of size and number of components I recommend only pickup. This should be done within 14 days of the ending date of the week (Monday-Thursday) in 07589 Bocka (Gera) or to vote (Mon-Sun) in 99100 Döllstädt (Erfurt). A shipment can be made after an explicit request of the buyer even if the buyer pay the shipping cost of 40 € and risks of a package dispatch (loss, damage, etc.) contributes.

here is a translation of the description on the scope......

The device is not a cheap product and actually almost as good as new as it is only from in the rooms (windows) and was not set up outdoors. The original price was around € 700.

The telescope was used not long and drawn up covered in an air conditioned room. Cleaning of the lenses may be necessary. The device has low usage and little wear. Because of size and number of components I recommend only pickup. This should be done within 14 days of the ending date of the week (Monday-Thursday) in 07589 Bocka (Gera) or to vote (Mon-Sun) in 99100 Döllstädt (Erfurt). A shipment can be made after an explicit request of the buyer even if the buyer pay the shipping cost of 40 € and risks of a package dispatch (loss, damage, etc.) contributes.

oh and no goto just manual tracking

oh and no goto just manual tracking

It might have cost €700 several years ago but the new improved version telescope on the better EQ5 mount with motors is cheaper than that bought new today.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p44_GSO-6--F-5-Newton-Teleskop-auf-Skywatcher-EQ5-Montierung.html

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p399_Skywatcher-Zweiachsen-Schrittmotorsteuerung-fuer-EQ5.html

It might have cost €700 several years ago but the new improved version telescope on the better EQ5 mount with motors is cheaper than that bought new today.

http://www.teleskop-...Montierung.html

http://www.teleskop-...g-fuer-EQ5.html

well it dosn't matter now....I fell asleep on the sofa just woke up and missed the scope ......and would you believe no one bidded on it so if I would of bidded 300 I probably would of got it :Envy:

That's a shame you missed it 300 euros would have been a decent price. I had the same scope with focus and axis motors - I used it a lot for 6 years then sold it all complete for £250 a year ago. So a hardly used one at 300 euros would be a good deal. 425 euros would have been too much though.

yes it is a shame but I am kinda glad (but just a little) that I missed it .....been saving up for a holiday to america to see my family...and I hope I can hold out till 2014...in the meantime just small things to use later with a new scope....just ordered a lasser collimator for 39 euros and also what to get some new 1.25" EPs

Archived