Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Azimuth bolts Skywatcher EQ5

Duke2k

I have a Skywatcher EQ5 goto mount and tripod. The small azimuth adjustment bolts are a loose fit in the threads and when tightened they go in at an angle. This causes them to contact the very front top edge of the tripod post instead of the centre, and they have damaged the post. I understand that I can upgrade the bolts but will the new bolts fit the threads better and more importantly will they go in straight? I have emailed Astro Developments with this question but they haven't answered. I have attached photos to show the problem.post-20653-0-36775000-1347313999_thumb.jpost-20653-0-72512900-1347314038_thumb.j

I am afraid looking at it from your photos you may have a problem, without seeing it in the flesh and from what you have said, it looks as if the holes have been badly tapped and well off centre, purchasing new and better stainless bolts will not bring about a cure, I am afraid. From my engineering knowledge, as this is an alloy casting, the only way I can see to solve this is to plug the holes with with a threaded alloy plug set with resin, then re-drill and tap the holes on centre. Unless you have a pillar drill and workshop facilities, this is probably a job best left to a small engineering company workshop, if you have one in you area. Of course if your mount is new and still under guarantee you may have cause for complaint :)

John.

Thanks John, unfortunately I bought the mount second hand and as it is my first scope I was unaware of this problem. As I mentioned the bolts appear to be a loose fit and have just as much angular movement in all directions. Its as if the thread on the bolt is too small for the hole that its in although it tightens ok.

If it still tightens, then the threads must be meshing, but it sounds as though the threaded bit in the soft alloy casting has worn to some extent. A small Eng works could re-drill and tap for an oversize new bolt and knob, or maybe use a helicoil devise. I think unless you live with it, it could cost you a few pounds to put it right, bit of bad luck it seems with s/h kit :)

John.

Archived