Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount for CGE 9.25" SCT

Serotonin

I have a Celestron 9.25" SCT tube that needs a new mount. I want to use it for astrophotography w/ a digital SLR camera. The tube weighs 20 lbs (9.07 kg).

I'm looking for a mount that can handle the weight of the tube and camera that would allow for long exposure tracking. I don't have a lot of cash to play with so what do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance.

My astro site:

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/astronomy.php

Are you sure you want to do DSO imaging with the C925? A f10 system with a focal length of 2.35 meters will be very demanding on the mount. You will need to look at premium mounts rather than mass produced Chinese models.

It will be cheaper to buy a 4" apo and an EQ6 for imaging and leave your C925 for planets and visual.

A Mesu 200 mount will set you back £4.4k or even the lighter Avalon Linear Fast Reverse mount will cost £3.3k. You can get a WO FLT98 with flattener and a NEQ6 pro for £3k.

Ah, weight, weight, weight. This isn't the real problem! The real problem, as Keith says, is the tracking accuracy required at the long focal length. You'd need the F6.3 reducer since there really wouldn't be much point in trying deep sky imaging at F10 with a DSLR. Even with the reducer you have quite a demanding FL. The obvious budget choice would be the NEQ6. It will need careful setting up, most likely, but has a fighting chance of delivering the tracking you need.

Olly

You might get it to work reduced with a NEQ6 and using an OAG to minimise weight, but getting subs of decent length without trailing could be quiet a challenge.

The best I managed with a C11 and EQ6pro was about 120 seconds, I didn't try hard enough to improve things though so you never know.

Archived