Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Syntrek or Pro?

Mikejh

I am looking to buy a new mount. Use PHD for guiding with a ST80 - imaging with SW ED80. If I use EQMOD and something like Cartes du Ciel - would I regret not paying the extra £100 odd for the GOTO mount, which is the price difference on the HEQ5?

Yup - Syntrek and EQMOD with PHD guiding is easy and it works! You can still use just the Syntrek handset if you are doing Solar, Lunar or planetary imaging where long term precise tracking is not essential. You will need an http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html to connect the mount to the lappy (and an A-B USB cable).

Exactly the same mount, but are you sure you'll never use it for visual. With the Pro, at least you have that option.

Russell

Hi Russell

You can use the syntek/eqmod for visual as well?

Probably not as convenient as the handset when visual but not really a problem.

John

You can use the "full" EQMOD driven set-up for visual if you wish - part of the full set-up is a game controller (a VERY useful bit of kit!) so you can slew at four preset rates if you wish and use goto to zoom about the skies. There is also a mosaic function for Lunar mosaics with a "webcam" setup.

Archived