Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacing Nikon kit lens for widefield (non scope)

Hi everyone, after a little help in replacing my kit lens or even if I need to... Tried this is the equipment forum...

I have a Nikon D60 with the standard 18-55kit lens.

I have been going out to Iceland for the last couple of years doing some aurora photography and recently some ISS passes. Very basic stuff, non mounted, static tripod stuff.

The kit lens however doesn't have an infinity marker, and I often take pics to find I am slightly out of focus. I've done the focussing on infinity in daylight and taping the lense and focus ring which gets me nearer the mark, but still sometimes frustratingly out a margin. No live view on this camera!

So I though why not replace the lens with one that has an infinity mark on. The D60 is one of those beast where the motor is in the lens itself but I figure as I'm manually focussing it won't matter much.

I've looked at the following, and would be grateful for thoughts or other suggestions: http://www.sigma-ima...s/18-50mmEX.htm

Apologies if in wrong forum and would be better in imagine. Just yell and I can repost.

Thanks in advance,

M

What's your budget?

I have a Sigma 10-20 which is a great lens, but not cheap.

As for posting in the right section - a tough one. We'll see how it goes here to start.

I have one of these, put it in my best buy list....really nice lens....in fact most of the Sigma/Nikon fit are worth the money...

Even if a lens has got an infinity mark on it, whatever it's cost, it doesn't necessarily mean that stars are in focus when it is set at infinity.

This is expecially marked if you use the lens at its widest F setting.

Dave

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies so far.

I'm travelling at the mo so just a quick reply.

I'd probably not want to spend lots, as I could just get say a canon 1100d with live view for what I need?? So I'd say no more than £200. Does that make me cheap? Lol!

I'm definately more at the wide end, yes.

And Dave, yeah you're right, and at the mo I do just open it right up as wide as possible so maybe useful?

IDK, I just seen to spend my time fiddling with focus or setting up a nice shot to find I've knocked focus. BUT I didn't originally buy the can with this type of shooting in mind so I can't complain too much.

Currently I auto focus on 'infinity' in daylight and mark the lens. Gets me there sometimes bang on. Other times though it's off.

It's not a biggie really but it'd be great to be able to just focus less on that and more or enjoying it!

Thanks again,

Hi MJI.

I have a D90 and i just use the view finder to focus i never use the live view as i can't see a thing through it apart from the moon,so just use the VF.

Try focusing on the brightest star yo can see,as said the infinity is no guarantee of pin sharp focus,i have to turn mime back just slightly.

Archived