Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light for modded 1000D (NGC7000 north american nebula)

stan26

Hello guys, This is very much WIP, I didn't initially have any intention to post it on here but its been soooo long since I have done any imaging I though I would. I struggled to remember how to set the rig up but got there in the end. The guiding wasn't great, I think the EQ3-2's dec drive needs some attention, and also the focus seemed to be ever so slightly off at the end of the session, not sure why, I let camera and lens cool and use a bahtinov to focus it, Maybe i knocked it whilst aligning on the target.

Its just 40 minutes of data made up of 1 min subs (because of guiding issues), ISO1600 using my canon 200L set to f4 (i must make a front aperture mask) obviously using my new modded 1000D with just the rear colour balance filter removed. I did use the skywatcher 1.25" LP filter as well although not sure if this improved things or not. other stuff used as per sig, home made guide scope/webcam etc etc....

I just need to add a lot more data now to try and smooth it out.

Stan :smiley:

7963370170_bbda139ebd_b.jpg

NCG7000 north american nebula by James stannard, on Flickr

Nice :)

I use my Canon 200/2.8L at f2.8 by focusing on a star on a thirds point rather the centre of the fov... I use APT's FWHM based AF routine to do the actual focusing having locked off the focus ring using micropore tape as it sits under the dewband and I don't want to risk it shifting...

I posted a thread several months ago with sample images...

I also had a range of aperture masks made in 2.5mm steps... But dont use them anymore...

Peter..

Thanks guys, Yeah I'm well chuffed with the 1000D, just need some clear nights to use it now!

I have just got a new laptop (my first actually) and whilst its very fast compared to my old tower PC the screen is awful to edit pics on ( IPS panel on order) and I haven't even attempted to calibrate it, so the above image may look a bit funky to some, whilst it looks great on my screen I have notice it looks very clipped and over saturated on other screens. I have also tried a bit of star reduction in this one to bring the neb through, I always think DSO targets in the milky way get washed out with the millions of stars grouped together.

Stan

Archived