Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can't focus using Meade #905 Variable filter

I finally got to use my Meade filter on the moon Tuesday but couldn't focus! I have only just now found on the internet that it isn't suitable for use with Newt's!

I wish they had put that on the website I bought it from before I ordered it!

I now realise only too late that I should have realised this due to the length of the filter affecting the focal length.

Has anyone else had this problem and could someone suggest an alternative filter please?

Just realised that you already have a variable polarising filter so forget my post, though I have to admit that I prefer the fixed density Moon filters, less faffing about. That's a great collection of ep's you have there, wise choices in Vixen, superb!

Just realised that you already have a variable polarising filter so forget my post, though I have to admit that I prefer the fixed density Moon filters, less faffing about. That's a great collection of ep's you have there, wise choices in Vixen, superb!

Robin

Thanks for advice. It's the variable Meade that won't let me focus. I will check out the filter shown in the link.

As to the Vixen NPL's. I too think they are great VFM and have no complaints with then whatsoever.

Hi Albenn, then I totally misunderstood or didn't read the heading properly. Hey, your comments ring bells, there was a string on SGL somewhere about a faulty batch of polarising filters, referring to the Sky Watcher ones sold by FLO, the Meade ones are probably from the same stable. The poster in the string I read sent theirs back to FLO who agreed with the faulty workmanship and exchanged it. I think you should contact your supplier and explain about there being a faulty batch of these and should send the faulty one back for an exchange, hopefully you bought it locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Albenn, then I totally misunderstood or didn't read the heading properly. Hey, your comments ring bells, there was a string on SGL somewhere about a faulty batch of polarising filters, referring to the Sky Watcher ones sold by FLO, the Meade ones are probably from the same stable. The poster in the string I read sent theirs back to FLO who agreed with the faulty workmanship and exchanged it. I think you should contact your supplier and explain about there being a faulty batch of these and should send the faulty one back for an exchange, hopefully you bought it locally.

Robin

Sorry this reply is late but my notification isn't telling me when I have had a reply to one of my posts.

I was one of those who had a faulty variable polarising filter from FLO and they refunded me no problem.

The problem I have with the Meade filter is that it is increases the focal length as the filter is at the end of a tube and therefore alters the focus. I may give Green Witch a call and see if they will exchange. I feel a little cheeky doing so really because the filter isn't faulty - it's just unsuitable for reflectors'

'Unsuitable for reflectors', not heard of that before, not tried it in mine, only in my refractor - interesting!

Robin

I actually got a notification from SGL!

I read on another dealers website after I had already bought and tried the filter that the Meade is fine on refractors but not newts. Typical that isn't it?

Just in case anyone is watching this post. I read elsewhere that a possible workaround with my scope is to move the secondary mirror towards the primary by the same amount as the filter tube therefore correcting the focal length.

Should be easy enough with the Heritage. Watch this space.

Just went and found the item on GW, a tube that big is an extender.

Cannot see how it works on a refractor either as it is so long, I couldn't make sense of this thread as I was assuming one like a camera variable polariser - abiut a 10mm sandwich, but that design is just ridiculas.

Archived