HEQ5Pro/Synscan Faulty (Owner)??

A few months ago I had finally saved enough cash to buy my first scope, a Skywatcher Explorer 150 with a HEQ5Pro Synscan mount from FLO. At the time there were no power packs in the country so I started using it without power. (Just pointing it at the heavens) Unfortunately then I became ill and wasn't well enough set it up and sit out at night. However I have now recovered and a friend has lent me a 12V power pack but Im having issues with the synscan.

After setting it up and turning it on and selecting the alignment method, the scope slews to where it thinks the first star for alignment should be. (This tells me at least that the motors are working). The handset then asks you to adjust with the alignment using the arrows on the keypad. But as I press them- nothing at all happens. And unfortunately because I cant complete the alignment, nothing else is possible, no tracking or anything at all.

At the moment Im not sure if its (as I strongly suspect) user error, or if theres a problem with the handset/mount. If it is the latter it is still under warranty and I can get it fixed but I need to rule out the fact its not me doing something idiotic! Could someone please offer advise as to whether I've missed something obvious or maybe suggest some things to try identify the issue.

Thanks

Mark

Yo Mark,

Might be that the default rate for motor movement is x2. If you have a big ep in, you'll hardly notice it moving.This happend on aVixen mount and I went and changed the recharge battery , before realizing that I'd knocked the x16 rate to x2.....aaaaahhhh!

I normally align the first star by hand, then align the 2nd star using the motors. Press the "rate" button and try x5 , see if this suits. It doesn't like up a bit down a bit, try and get as direct as you can.For visual use I use 2 star align, using stars in the area of the sky that I'm observing .

Hopefully this is worth a shot, these mounts are pretty bullet proof.

8th clear night here tonight,you could do a trial in daylight, just to see if it's the rate.

Wouldn't bother with a power pack, just get a leisure caravan 12v battery.There's plenty other bits on using the 5 on here,

Nick.

I suspect that the handset is set to a slow slew rate. After the mount has slewed to the first star press button 2 and then button 0. This will set the mount's slew rate to the fastest setting and you definitely will see the mount move. You can change the slew rate to a slower setting by pressing button 2 and then one of the other numbered buttons.

Peter

Archived