Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Attempt with a Atik 314L

So kit is in my signature although I used the Atik for the first time, so loads of questions, this was with out a filter wheel and I connected my Coma Corrector and Baader NeodyFiltermium Picture attached (think I go it right)

Focused using a Bahtinov mask and I can see that its not as sharp as it could be.

Took 30 mins worth of 300 Sec exposures and set the temp on the Atik to -10.

Stacked the files in DSS using the standard settings (I did see stuff in there for Fits settings)

In PS i did simple levels and curves and the result is below.

All feedback is welcomed.

Regards

John B

post-4419-0-62423600-1346885796_thumb.jp

post-4419-0-36817800-1346885842_thumb.jp

There is a focus aid with Artemis that gives the FWHM value that you can use to fine tune the focus if you are not happy with the mask. I tend to find if I use bahtinov grabber I am very very close and often can't improve using the FWHM.

I'd second the use of FWHM in Artemis. It's excellent. Use three second subs in Bin 1.

Now what is causing those posterized-looking diagonal waves in the background? I haven't a clue but someone will have seen them before. I suspect it will be a DSS effect but I rarely use DSS so I can't help. I'd post a question asking what settings others are using.

There are also dark haloes around the stars. This is usually the result of sharpening routines or deconvolution but you don't mention these so perhaps they are related to the other issue.

I don't think you are far off and your guiding looks good. A bit of software tinkering should see you right.

You don't have much signal or contrast for the exposure time but I guess there was a shedload of bright moonlight so that, plus LP, would probably account for it. You can't really do LRGB in any significant moonlight.

Fear not, the moon is on its way out!

Olly

I'm now coming around to using Artemis FWHM, although I do also try and use a Bhatinov mask / Bhatinov grabber to get me very close first (like Freddie) - It doesn't work quite as well for me with Narrowband filters though... You haven't mentioned what DSO this is, but like Olly I'm a little surprised that with 6x5mins there's not a little more "something" around that star, although again as Olly noted, the moon will really mess things up if it's anywhere in earshot

I'm now coming around to using Artemis FWHM, although I do also try and use a Bhatinov mask / Bhatinov grabber to get me very close first (like Freddie) - It doesn't work quite as well for me with Narrowband filters though... You haven't mentioned what DSO this is, but like Olly I'm a little surprised that with 6x5mins there's not a little more "something" around that star, although again as Olly noted, the moon will really mess things up if it's anywhere in earshot

I'd say this was the Iris, no?

Olly

Archived