Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First dew problems

I,m newish to astronomy and experienced my first case of heavy dew last night.

It was really good viewing so i was out there at 9.30 all set up. I haven't used my telescope dew shield since i got it last year.

then about 10pm couldnt see a thing through my telrad.

I wasnt sure how to clear it so i used the finder that came with the scope, which was clear of any dew.

Glad i didnt take the finder off when i bought the telrad. looks like i,m going to have to invest in a dew shield for the telrad, has anyone used one? are they effective?

I thought because the Telrad doesn't magnify ofr anything, just a sight for aligning objects that the dew could just be wiped off with a dry sof tissue. Is this not the case and if I am wrong, I am sure this will soon be pointed out to me. I have made the telrad dew shiled as mentioned above but can still get some dew

Thanks for the useful replies.

I,ve downloaded the pattern for the homemade shield and used the link to the ebay supplier of 2mm foam.

What a great forum! problem solved, i hope!

Don't forget you need some velcro pads to fix it to the Telrad.

I thought because the Telrad doesn't magnify ofr anything, just a sight for aligning objects that the dew could just be wiped off with a dry sof tissue. Is this not the case and if I am wrong, I am sure this will soon be pointed out to me. I have made the telrad dew shiled as mentioned above but can still get some dew

Yep I know some people just wipe the dew off with a tissue but I was never really happy that it cleared it enough.

The foam dew shield works until you get a heavy dew or you are out for a long night. I use my DIY foam shield if I'm just out for a couple hours.

If I'm planning a long night then I use a Telrad heater as I've found it's the only way to keep it completely clear. Only downside is you do need a power supply but you can see all the faint stars through the Telrad so less hunting around. :)

Archived