Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thermal protection for Dobsonian in shed

Hi all,

I have just put in a new shed and am planning on moving my 10 inch dob out there. i've carpeted it already but im a little concerned that it gets hot in there when the sun is on the roof all day. My question is

1) how much does this heat effect the telescope?

2) would a thermal blanket/covering protect the scope at all?

3) how would I best protect my scope in the shed from the elements and the critters?

Thanks

I have a metal shed for my dobs and uninsulated they can suffer big time from condensation. However I have lined the walls with an aluminium/polstyrene type material and the roof with 40mm celetex. This has eliminated the condensation. I propose to put in a couple of sofit vents in the rear corners on the floor and fix 4 x 80mm 12v computer fans on the inside of the vents at the front so I can induce a through flow of air. (the switching will have to be done manually as I dont really know how to do it any other way). I have the scopes covered with bed sheets but I think your idea of shower caps is a great way to keep them bug free.

I have had scopes in a shed at a bit over 30C without any issues.

Usually they cool pretty quick in the late efternoon.

At some point you could get grease softening and dribbling out of a focus rack, etc. A bit of thought on storage angle prevents problems here.

But generally no problems.

Archived