band of "light" when viewing planets.

Recently whist viewing Jupiter i noticed a band of ,for want of a better word "glare" crossing my EP from one side to another.The band was either side of Jupiter.The moons around Jupiter were sharp and the main disc was showing banding so I assumed my focus was ok.I checked my viewing area and couldn't see anything causing this.I had the same problem with a 25mm EP and a 10mm EP,both with and without a barlow.The band of "glare" wasnt evident at lower altitudes whilst I was tracking Jupiter but became apparent when it reached "mid sky" at around 1.30 am. I did put this down to maybe the moon or the fact that Jupiter is very bright or maybe very poor seeing.As i messed around changing EPs I noticed that as I rotated the Ep in the focuser the band of light rotated with it,with both eyepieces with or without a barlow.If I slewed to the moon or a star this didnt happen.Is this issue just down to Jupiters brightness or can someone give me an idea what it might be.I have checked colimation using the star disc method and checked position of the secondary in the primary and it looks as near as dam it.thanks...

If it is revolving with both ep`s, then the chances are you may have an internal reflection problem, when viewing targets under certain conditions, If these are the basic ep`s as supplied with the scope, is it possible for you to try an alternative ? most quality eye pieces have blackened edges to the optics and all internal parts are matt black to try and prevent this happening. Never the less your problem could have been down to the current brightness of the Moon and may disappear once this reduces :)

John.

thanks for the opinions...after the original post I checked various other objects and the brightest ones were affected by this light band( which fades out as it lengthens).Slewing back to Jupiter as it was nearer the zenith showed more banding but this time almost a union jack configuration. Betelgeuse was flickering orange /red/green/blue.(??) with the atmospherics and gave off this banding.The used EPs are the cheapo supplied ones and they do have chrome collars which i suspect would give reflections in certain circumstances.The moon was also very bright all night and seemed to miss the intermittent cloud cover ,and as planets are illuminated by I suspect the moon or the sun (to some extent) I suppose that could be a factor.The dew shield idea is a good one but most due shields i have seen are for large dobs..not small(130mm)newts..I will check out FLO.My main concern is that it is some kind of defect so would be interested to know if anyone else experiences this.When I view a bright moon with or without my ND filter the haze is apparent but not the long band of light I experience with other bright objects.I also realize that seeing hasn't been ideal as even just looking with the eyes shows large flares( not the trousers) in the brighter objects..As GLOWJET stated about Lunar light,when Jupiter began to enter light cloud the banding disappears until it entered clear sky again..and just to clarify,,I could only clearly see Jupiter , Betelgeuse and orions belt as conditions were that poor,other objects were lost in cloud or nearly invisible to the eye.

It could be light wispy cloud reflecting off the Moon so that when you view bright objects the effect is enhanced, I don't mean clouds in your eyepiece view. What I mean is that I have experienced this when there are light dusty clouds elsewhere in the sky. Hope that makes sense?

yeah robin it makes sense..I "get it " that other factors in the sky contribute to what you actually see in the EP.I was just trying to see if there was something I could do to negate this effect.If it is purely atmospheric,be it moon glow ,sun glow,cloud reflections etc messing up the view then fair enough but if its my equipment or a setting perhaps then im more concerned.What confused me is the fact that the banding or light reflection rotates with the eyepiece

Archived