Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Timelapse and shooting star, Canon 550d at 10mm

As it was 95% humidity, partially cloudy, windy, and the full moon was up, it didn't leave me with too many options for the night.

So I tried to make a timelapse, but couldn't get much before the lense got foggy (ended up with a 6 sec movie, haha).

But i noticed afterwards however that i think i have also got a nice shooting star. Not very big thoug, but best capture i've gotten so far anyway.. :)

The pic is a bit noisy when cropped though, but oh well. :)

Timelapse here: http://youtu.be/g0zNtdZxibg

post-9520-0-53056000-1346442056_thumb.jp

I honestly didn't even think about that possebility. But when you say it, yes, it actually looks a lot more like that.

Workign on a longer timelapse now, btw. Should hopefully be done in a few hours or so. :)

That's a very nice tip. I'll absolutely try to make something similar as well. Should work very well for my 50mm 1,4 lens at least. :)

I have a feeling that the extra tube would have to be insanely big for my 10mm lens though, because of the wide angle.

I did leave the sunshield on though, hoping it would help some at least. But i quickly found out it didn't make any difference as the lens was slightly aimed upwards and that socalled sunshield for a 10mm lens barly extends like 1-2cm, haha.. :p

But it turned out a normal fan, without heating, also did wonders. So i'm concidering to make a mobile fan system with a veeeery smooth fan to barly blow over the lens. Shoutl be able to get a mobile system that should last for a whole night with only a very small 6v battery.

anyone tried this before?

Hi Janis.

To fight dew making night timelapses I use 12V portable hair dryer (cost several pounds on ebay) which I power from my 17Ah power tank.

BTW, you can also make star trails from the same frames which you took for time lapse. Just get some free software like Starstax or Star Trails, and stack your frames together.

I use 32GB, and then i have a 16GB extra just in case. However, even when shooting only in RAW at 18M.pix., I still didn't fill more then roughly half the card with the about ~700 pictures used here on the longest timelapse.

I always shoot in RAW, then batch process to JPG in adobe camera raw as it removed the dead pixels a LOT better then Canon's DPP. Not to mention, with ACR, it applies all settings and adjustments to all the pictures automatically. Quick and easy. :)

I resize using a filter in VirtualDub. I Could do it in PS/ACR instead of course, but, well - I just didn't, lol... :p

I normally save my timelapse videos in high res, usually 1440p as that's my display resolution. But saved and uploaded in 1080p in this case because rarly anyone on youtube watches in higher anyway.

Hi Janis.

To fight dew making night timelapses I use 12V portable hair dryer (cost several pounds on ebay) which I power from my 17Ah power tank.

BTW, you can also make star trails from the same frames which you took for time lapse. Just get some free software like Starstax or Star Trails, and stack your frames together.

Gave that a quick go, but not with all the frames though.

I've been thinking about a hair dryer solution, but i worry about the power usage. It's very often 85-95% humidity here, so it would have to run almost constantly.

post-9520-0-44065400-1346691716_thumb.jp

Gave that a quick go, but not with all the frames though.

I've been thinking about a hair dryer solution, but i worry about the power usage. It's very often 85-95% humidity here, so it would have to run almost constantly.

It wouldnt have to be on constantly,i live next to the sea and in the winter the air is ridiculously "wet" but if you give the lens the hair dryer treatment for afew minutes every

15 to 15 mins or so you shouldnt have any problems.I used to just put the camera inside my jumper for about 10 minutes,that was enough to clear any fogging and usually lasted me a good 15mins

before it fogged again.Its never a problem if you are just shooting nightscapes but i've lost a few good timelapse sequences through fogging so thats why i bougth a battery hair dryer this summer.Dont want to ruin any aurora timelapses.

It wouldnt have to be on constantly,i live next to the sea and in the winter the air is ridiculously "wet" but if you give the lens the hair dryer treatment for afew minutes every

15 to 15 mins or so you shouldnt have any problems.I used to just put the camera inside my jumper for about 10 minutes,that was enough to clear any fogging and usually lasted me a good 15mins

before it fogged again.Its never a problem if you are just shooting nightscapes but i've lost a few good timelapse sequences through fogging so thats why i bougth a battery hair dryer this summer.Dont want to ruin any aurora timelapses.

I don't know how the winter is at your place, but where i live i struggle with the moist not simply fogging up, but icing up the lens. With winters often at -15c, sometimes -20-22c, combined with humidity of 80-95% almost all the time, it's a real nightmare to be into this hobby here, lol.

But i will give it a try anyway and see how it works. :)

Archived