Skywatcher EQ3 PRO Synscan GOTO

Skywatcher Explorer 130P

Skywatcher EQ3 PRO Synscan GOTO

Hi everyone, still a bit new to this hobby, although it’s something I’ve wanted to do for many years.

The question I ask is, do I still need to set Polar alignment on this mount through the Polar scope, or can I just use the three star alignment using the SynScan GOTO and still get the same results?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Yes, as Peter said, you still need to do polar alignment. What I have noticed with my EQ3 GOTO is that if polar alignment is too poor, then I cannot do a 3-star alignment with synscan and it fails all the time. Also, if you have done a good polar alignment and still fail to do 3-star alignment, check your cone error.

I had a problem with that. the cone error was so much that I could not see Polaris through the telescope although I could see it in the polarscope and the alignment was good. Then I realised that cone error was causing it and fixed it.

Also, if you wat to do Astro-Photography, then very accurate polar alignment is cruicial, otherwise you will get trails on any exposure longer than 15 seconds.

Naeim

Hi Pete,

I also own an EQ3 GOTO mount, only extra bit of advice I would add is to make sure the tripod is level to start with. I use my own spirit level as I am not sure if the built in ones are that good? Yes polar align as well, balance scope and then balance scope with mount and then you are ready to 3 star align. Enjoy the night sky.

Peter

Archived