Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

August 7, 2012: Three more Caldwells and much more from France

After my failure on Caldwell 66 the previous night, I made sure I had everything set up early on the 7th. The night was exceptionally clear, the best I had had so far from this spot in France. M31 showed up as a large naked eye object, despite being low in the sky.

NGC 5694 (Caldwell 66) in Hydra was the first target, and I could just spot this globular in averted vision as a faint circular glow in averted vision. It was quite hard, as it was low in the sky.

Collinder 338 was next, a very diffuse open cluster (as most Collinders) near Shaula (below M7). Nearby, NGC 6281 showed up as a more compact, but still diffuse open cluster west of the Bug Nebula. The next target, NGC 6652 was much brighter. It is a fairly small but quite bright globular cluster close to Kaus Australis.

Next I moved to Corona Australis for a second try at NGC 6729 (Caldwell 68). This was quite difficult, but a faint nebula showed in the right spot in averted vision. Nearby I could easily see NGC 6726 which I spotted the day before, and NGC 6727 which I had missed the day before. These latter two are reflection/emission nebula surround two stars west and north of Caldwell 68. Caldwell 68 itself vanished completely in UHC filter, and the other two got dimmer, but were still visible. Caldwell 68 is a reflection nebula.

I then moved northwards, to have a go at Barnard's Galaxy, before a rising moon could spoil any fun. After carefully checking the position in the finder scope, I looked through the C8 and got it! A very faint elliptical haze showed in the right spot, moving the scope a bit confirmed it. So finally, after many attempts, NGC 6822 (Caldwell 57) bagged!! That brought the Caldwell count to 97, so just a dozen more to go.

I moved over to some easier stuff, and had a look at the Lagoon (M8). This was really magnificent. The dust lanes really stood out well, and the fainter northern parts were very well visible. Moving north to the Triffid Nebula (M20). This was awesome. My jaw just dropped. I have never before seen the dust lanes in the lower part of the Triffid so clearly. Inserting a UHC filter made the northern (reflection) part disappear, and the dust lanes become even more striking. I spent quite a while just staring at this object I thought I new so well. Breathtaking.

Back to hunting new stuff, I got Collinder 367, a slightly anaemic open cluster east of M8. NGC 6546 showed up as a smaller cluster northwards. I picked up nearby globulars NGC 6544 and NGC 6553 which I had seen a few nights earlier, and went on to find NGC 6629, which is a nice little planetary between M8 and M22. NGC 6642 an easy globular closer to M22 was next. You cannot be in this part of the sky and not have a look at M22, which is even better than M13 in my opinion, just great, a massive ball of stars.

I tried to find planetary nebula NGC 6644, but had to give up. It might be beyond my scope. On my way to other targets I spotted NGC 6638, a tight globular cluster close to Kaus Borealis. Near Mu Sgr I spotted NGC 6568, a nice open cluster, but I could not spot the next targets, planetary nebulae NGC 6578 and NGC 6567.

Moving away from that area, I stumbled upon M9, and captured globulars NGC 6356 (quite clear, tight glob north of M9), NGC 6342 (to south, more difficult), and NGC 6640 (very easy). Nearby, I got NGC 6445 ( the Box Nebula), a very nice, if small planetary, which looked almost biliobate in the 17mm with UHC.

As the moon was rising, I finished by having a look at M101 (large but a bit faint in encroaching moonllght), and M51, which was far less affected, and showed the two cores and outlying regions nicely. Great finale to a very rewarding evening, with lost of new stuff, many old friends, and just a few failures

Congrats on Barnard's Galaxy - when I was out last week (Tehachapi Hills post) I spent a some time trying to let me eyes bring in some light from this galaxy but the most I could discern was a very slight increase in what appeared to be "background haze" at the location. I wasn't going to declare victory off that...so I'll wait till I get to a true dark sky location to really observe it.

Overall a stunning night!

Congrats on Barnard's Galaxy - when I was out last week (Tehachapi Hills post) I spent a some time trying to let me eyes bring in some light from this galaxy but the most I could discern was a very slight increase in what appeared to be "background haze" at the location. I wasn't going to declare victory off that...so I'll wait till I get to a true dark sky location to really observe it.

Overall a stunning night!

Barnard's Galaxy is not much more than a slight increase in background haze, but it is consistently in the same place. I hand faint glimpses before, but this time it seemed clearer (as I mention the night was very very clear indeed). It is a bit like NGC 147, which I also found very tricky indeed.

Great report, sounds a very successful night, looking at your signature your very experienced finding DSOs :)

and by the look of your sig matt your a tottenham fan :grin: , come on you sppppursss :grin: .

Archived