NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepiece Question

SwampStar

Evening...

Just a very quick question about eyepiece selection. I've been using the 10mm and the 25mm eyepieces that came with my SW scope. I really like the 25mm; it gives a bright, clear view but of course it only gives quite low mag. Great for the moon, and Andromeda. But my 10mm is very tricky to use, giving a very dark view and hard to focus.

A practical example: I picked out M57 for the first time tonight. Superb...and absolutely thrilled. The 25mm gave a clear, bright view, and with some very gentle focusing and averted vision, I was able to make out the dark patch in the centre. When I tried the 10mm it was bobbins. Too dark to focus.

So after all that...here comes the 'quick' question! Replace the 10mm with a better quality one; or spend the money on an inbetweenie, say 15mm? At the moment, I can't do both!

Thanks!

Ive just got a couple of eyepieces a 8mm and 18mm BST duel ED starguiders.The 10mm you get with scope is rubbish if you want higher power go to replace the 8mm bst is fantastic if you want in between the 18 mm is just as good im saving up now for the rest of the range (5mm,12mm,15mm and 25mm) i wont need a barlow lens then.

They are usually £47 however I think that on one bit of the site it still says £41, I was looking the other day at StL for something just cannot recall what.

They are good eyepieces, if the 10mm you have is doubtful then consider the 12mm or 15mm. Magnification may be a bit less but the clarity will be better. Probably 12mm to maintain a magnification close to the present 10mm.

This is all brilliant advice, cheers. Really stuck now between the 8mm and the 12mm. I'm an all-rounder, really. Don't favour planets over deep sky or the other way round, although I am on a bit of a Messier hunt at the moment! Any last nuggets of wisdom over which to go for? Eventually, I'll probably get the full range, but which first? Thanks.

Well 8mm i would say will show alot of detail in planets so go for the 12 or 15 they will be just nice for galaxys and nebs i had andromeda in my 18mm which was great went down to the 8 mm wasnt so good but i had alot of light pollution, Andromeda for me is right up over the top of a street light.

Well...the eyepiece has arrived! The first thing you notice is the size. Once I learn to put pics on here, I'll post one. It's about 3 times the size of my old 10mm. It feels like it's a well made product. It's very chunky and weighty and it oozes quality. Certainly more than I've been used to, anyway. The eye hole (?) is very wide and the distance between the lens and your eye is on an adjustable screw making it very comfortable. I know it's daylight but the view is very clear.

Archived