NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

easy viewing

Can anybody advise me please when im looking at different objects in the night sky my observing position changes which means i have to undo the clamps on my mount and turn the scope to make it easier, but many times then its not balanced how do other people get around this please. I have in the past resorted to standing on a chair to observe rather than turning the scope.

I am sure that there will be a variety of solutions from other 'gazers but I think that once the scope is balanced it should be possible to rotate the tube to suit the section of sky you are viewing without losing the balance. I have marked my tube with a couple of small adhesive stickers to check that the tube hasn't slipped down the tube rings when I have turned the tube.

Rotating the tube should place the eyepiece in a more comfortable position - however the finderscope will probably be in an inconvenient attitude - there are a number of possible solutions. On my newtonian I have a Telrad with a base on either side of the telescope - it does mean an alignment check when I switch sides but I find it worth it. My newtonian also has a skywatcher 9 x 50 RACI viewfinder and I have found that by slightly slackening off the eyepiece assembly I can rotate the EP to a better viewing angle.

I also very lightly lubricated the tube clamp screws with lithium grease to make them a little smoother to undo and redo. Also planning your viewing can reduce the number of times it is neccessary to rotate the tube. As stars in the west disappear from view first it might be worthwhile starting in that segment of the sky.

I have tried to make my viewing as comfortable as possible and often try out ideas in daylight to help get to know how best to make using the scope easier to use. As for having to stand on a chair to reach the EP - can you lower the tripod legs a bit more ??

There are a number of threads on this viewing comfort topic so it may be worthwhile trying to seek them out.

Hope this helps.

Some people add an extra tube ring above the other two. When the tube clamps are loosened you can then rotate the tube without it slipping down through the main tube rings. I think this is called a slip ring. You can put some teflon pads on the edge of this additional ring so that it slides smoothly against the fixed tube ring.

Hope this makes some sense !

Archived