NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do you position yourself to look through a Rigel or Telrad

Might seem a strange question but I am thinking of getting myself a rigel or a telrad (haven't made my mind up yet). It's going to be complementing my RACI 9x50 finder and is going to be positioned the other side of it as there isn't enough room to the left (I've got a SW skyliner 200P dob). I'm trying to imagine how I might position myself to view through it and wondered what other people did. Do I lean over to look through it or do I get up and sit at the back of the scope to look directly through. With the rigel and telrad the square viewing window will be at an angle if I lean over and I wondered if this was detrimental, hence sitting at the back so it is square. What are peoples thoughts?

Both the Telrad & Rigel are used in the same way, by looking through the window from behind the unit, as if looking along the scope.

You don't have to get your eye right up to the window, but if you view from the back end of the scope, you will be too far away.

So most folk will lean over. It depends on the scope how hard this is. It can be a neck bender when aiming high up.

Both these units are great, they are popular for a reason. You can fit it with tape to find the best position for you, before the permanent fix.

When deciding the best place, you can do that in daytime, turn the brightness up and aim the scope at all elevations, see if the rings are easy to see.

All the best with whatever one you get, Ed.

Hi

Whilst I love my Telrad I do find it a bit of a neck twister when trying objects near the zenith. This is where my RACI finder beats it hands down when using my small Dob. I tend to find the rough area I want with a quick glance through the Telrad then search proper with the RACI finder, this is a much more comfortable way when using smaller Dobs IMO.

When using a large Dob near the zenith you tend to be looking up through the Telrad and as such it's no problem at all.

What i did was to move the finder bracket to the right, and fit the telrad between the focuser and the RACI finder. The RACI is rotated to a 45 degree angle, so i can look through both without moving as such. Also i raised the telescope on a wooden table, so not a lot of neck strain at the zenith.

One tip I can give you is to keep both eyes open. Using one eye on the dot and the other on your target. Makes lining up easier IMHO.

That is great advice. Just tried it with my new Rigel quick finder and it just clicked in my mind how RDFs are supposed to work.

Thanks for this tip and thanks to the OP for asking a question that I would have asked other wise :smiley:

Dave

That is great advice. Just tried it with my new Rigel quick finder and it just clicked in my mind how RDFs are supposed to work.

Thanks for this tip and thanks to the OP for asking a question that I would have asked other wise :smiley:

Dave

that's what these forums are all about, helping each other however it happens. thanks again all for the advice

Archived