Advice on Skywatcher 200p and Mount

Good Afternoon all,

I am looking for some advice on a mount.

I have the Skywatcher 200p Dob, but looking at removing the OTA to place on an EQ Mount for Imaging.

Unsure what best to go for, keeping price down, but just want to see opions on the following:

EQ6

HEQ6 Pro

CG-5 GT

Will be attaching the following:

OTA

Canon 600D

Standard viewfinder

No plans for Guidescope as of yet.

Will probably build a pier for the Mount, but will be using Tripod as well.

Thanks in advance all.

Dan

There are people imaging on the EQ5 with a 200P, so I'd have thought either the EQ6 or the NEQ6 should be fine. The NEQ6 would probably make life much easier in terms of guiding and control though.

James

Whilst a HEQ5 will hold it (and I'm not getting into the it's over the weight limit for imaging argument, but it is! ;) ) if you're going to fork out that sort of money, do yourself a favour and get the NEQ6 which will hold it :)

Don't forget the 200P Dob (f6) is longer and heavier than the standard 200P (f5)

Just my 2p

EQ6 with out a doubt. 1200mm focal length with a 600D hanging off one end is really going to test the limits of a CG5 and even a HEQ5 IMHO. There will come a time when you feel the need for a guide scope and the EQ6 should accommodate this even with the longer OTA.

My CG5GT is fine for visual with the 200P F5.

On photos with a DSLR and unguided 30sec or a minute is reasonable. Even gone to 5 mins sometimes. But only after lots of attention to balance. Not on slightly windy evening.

Yes something stronger is really called for.

Are you happy carrying (assuming you have to carry) an EQ6 around.

They are a really heavy lump compared to an EQ5.

Thanks all.

So the HEQ6 should do it but it's pushing the boundary abit.

Is there any other mounts out there that would be up for the challenge other then the N/HEQ6?

Don't mind carrying, won't be carrying far!

Thanks again,

Dan

Archived