Why all the hunks of metal? mars

Manok101

Is it all from exploded meteors comets and what not? Every, or a good many of the ground pics I see mars is littered with thousands of chunks of metal, and I've always been curious as to what they came from?

I don't think that the pictures actually show chunks of metal although they certainly look like they do. The NASA website says that they adjust the colours during processing to help with the analysis of them - "This processing, called "white balancing," is useful for scientists to be able to recognize and distinguish rocks by color in more familiar lighting" What you see is not always what you get!

It's believed Mars has an iron or metal based core, and much of it is covered in red dust (iron oxide), so metals certainly exist on Mars, however most images I've seen show rocks, mostly basalt, not lumps of metal..

Archived