NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad mounting on an Equinox 80

Anyone mounted a Telrad on an Equinox 80? I have one on my C9.25 and I just bought a second base to mount on my ED80 but realised it won't fit on the OTA between the dew shield (fully extended) and the raised bit at the focuser end. Now I am not sure how to mount it, any ideas? PS my refractor is not mounted in rings, it mounts on a dovetail with the finger underneath.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks Stephen, that's very helpful (tongue in cheek); I realise that but I was trying to share it between 2 scopes, maybe I need to make a small aluminium extension plate to mount on the dovetail along it's length to make it wider IYSWIM.

Sent from my iPad

I, too, am wrestling with thisTelrad mounting on an ED80 problem - like others I am sharing the Telrad between other scopes:-

1. The 10" Newtonian currently has two bases - one either side of the scope to cope with the meridian flip issue and currently held on with cable ties. (There is a non slip piece of matting under each base and it seems to be holding very solidly)

2. My Mak 127 has Orion (US) tube rings which have a good sized "flat" onto which accessories can be piggybacked - I have put velcro strips on these and on the corresponding side of the Telrad - again it seems to hold quite solidly.

3. I am currently trying the MAK method on my ED80 - which has S/W tube rings - I have just located a spare piggyback "thumbwheel" camera attachment and I am looking to use a spare 5" dovetail and once again use velcro to attach the Telrad.

I have just been looking at a thread where someone attached the Telrad to the dew shield - which can be turned to overcome the meridian flip issue.!!

The Telrad is a very recent addition (for the newt) and I must say that I am impressed with the help it gives in locating objects. The (Orion) ED80 (preloved) was only aquired yesterday and fortunately there were a few breaks in the cloud last night to give it a brief "first light" - I am well pleased with the scope and I am looking forward to enjoying the heavens with it - especially when out caravanning. - I have already been browsing the forums for EP ideas!!

I shall be watching this thread for any other Telrad mounting ideas.

Archived