NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lastest Eye Piece

S.A.M

Just added my latest eye piece to my growing (wife does not know :grin: ) collection, the eye piece is a Pentax XW 5mm. This goes with the 10, 14 and 20mm ones, still away to go before I have the rest of the XW's. Other items in the case include varoius filters, head torch, wolly hat, golf gloves and a Televue Ethos 13mm.

Wonder what else I could add?

Peter

post-1889-0-65903000-1344892183_thumb.jp

Nice set Peter :smiley:

I have the 5mm XW and like it a lot. I've also got a Nagler 31mm or "The TermiNagler" as it's known and did a review of the 30mm XW comparing it with the big Nager and a Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm some time back. Here's a my report, if it's of any interest:

3bigeps.pdf

Hi John,

Just looked at your excellent report with the 3 eye pieces, the report gives wonderful results with all 3 eye pieces. It means I now need one of these as I have not really got anything in this range. Just have to keep the wife out of the way for a while. :grin:

Peter

I read in this months S&T there is a new eyepiece with 120degree field, argon filled, Explorer I think - only $999 at introductory price before $1495 afterwards. Shouyldn't you be aiming for this ?

Mike

Some people on CN received their 9mm ES120, and it is huge, a 1.3kg monster that makes 13 ethos looks small. I reckon you'll need to strengthen the OTA and focuser so they don't buckle under the load :D

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/Eyepieces/Number/5235243/page/2/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/2

If you OP wants to know what to add, you can always have a look at the eyepiece case thread for suggestions

http://stargazerslou...ye-piece-cases/

Mike,

Sound of an Argon filled eye pieces looked good, until the price came up, might stick to Pentax or Ethos eye pieces :grin: Wonder if this is the most expensive eye piece on the market, past or present? As Keith said, the OTA will need strengthen as well, then I will need to join a gym to build up the strength required to mount the equipment. All these extras are just a bit too expensive for me.

Peter

... Wonder if this is the most expensive eye piece on the market, past or present?...

No, currently the crown for that goes to the Nikon NAV HWs sold by APM Germany, at €1740(£1370) each (or from Kokusai Kohki £1470 (inc shipping, import duty and VAT)). It's cheaper to buy a return flight to Japan, buy it there (£780) and come back with it.

I think Pentax 60 XL is the most expensive commercially available eyepiece ever made and cost $3900 USD each.

Archived