Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Still looking for a basic refractor

Hi folks

I'm looking for an average refractor for lunar and planetary viewing. AP is not my goal, just a scope to fit to my EQ2 mount to give reasonable views of Jupiter ect. I don't have the money for anything really good but don't want a pos catalogue toy.

Is this any good?

http://www.astroshop.de/bresser-teleskop-ac-90-900-messier-ota/p,21611

I have no idea regarding the minimum diameter needed to give reasonable results with a refractor.

Thanks in advance

JC

Just wondering: doesn't your LightBridge give good planetary images? It ought to out perform a 90mm refractor by a significant margin, no?

Hi,

as stated by umadog, your Light-bridge should outperform any average refractor. I had the 12" Light-bridge for quite a while and although it seemed fine, the lunar and planetary views where disappointing. The issue turned out to be collimation.

The Light-bridge is convenient in that it all comes apart, but this procedure can put the collimation out every time you do it.

If you haven't already got one you would be better to spend the money on a good laser collimator (I recommend the Hotech self centering version). Once the collimation was sorted out the views were stunning. I only sold it because I got into astrophotography. I will definitely be investing in another Dob in the future... and of course, another collimator.

The 90/900 looks pretty good for what you want, at f/10 the CA should be reasonable so not a huge problem.

I was going to suggest the Opticstar 80mm they do, they have an f/7.5 option, but I see you are in Germany and Optistar have a big notice about sending items outside of the UK.

Thanks guys.

The dob does give good views but it is not what you would call grab and go. Hence the desire to get a reasonable refractor. I have a laser collimator but don't like it. I use a cheshire to collimate the scope. The laser shows the scope as out of collimation even when I have just set it up using the cheshire.

The refractor you liked to will give pretty good views of lunar detail, it will show a little false colour around jupiter, but its not a bad scope, your laser collimator probably needs collimating itself

The refractor you liked to will give pretty good views of lunar detail, it will show a little false colour around jupiter, but its not a bad scope, your laser collimator probably needs collimating itself

Same as that, should sit well on an EQ2

a good refractor is nearly bomb proof I have a carton 80mm and its superb, because of there resisience a second hand refractor , Towa , Carton or early tasco (japanese one) at f12- f15 will work great. they should be picked up for less than £100 and will out perform most modern f7 chinese scopes. If you do go new FLO sell a vixen 80mm thats good value at £159 or so.

Thanks again folks.

I have ordered the ex showroom Opticstar 80mm. Thanks for all the advice. This will be perfect to use on my balcony during the winter (faces SW) when I cant be bothered to load up the car with the Dob. I can even have a go at some basic wide field imaging. I need to get a diagonal and a finder now. Will my Vixen eyepieces be OK with this scope?

Cheers

Archived