Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Soc of Glasgow - New Baby

Albireo380

Four of us built the base etc for the new Skywatcher 10 inch Dob that we just received from Steve at FLO. It didn't take four of us - but I supplied a few beers, so people arrived at my flat. The whole process from unpacking to completing the collimation of the OTA took exactly one hour.

Two large boxes were delivered on Tuesday. One held the OTA + finder etc - it was about 4 feet 8 inches long by about 18 inches square. The second box was about 2 feet 6 inches square by 6 inches deep. Each box weighed about 15 kilos. The smaller box held the base unit in flat pack form.

The base unit came with all the appropriate screws and fitments (phew) + two allen keys and two spanners. The OTA came with a wee allen key to adjust the secondary.

The base unit was easily put together, following the surprising clear instructions (for a Chinese made product). The English made sense and the diagrams did look like what we had in front of us.

The finder slots cleanly into its holder and has two screws to adjust the finder's orientation - the third screw is spring loaded - a nice touch.

The primary mirrot has a central small ring and using a Baader laser collimation tool and the supplied allen key it was a matter of a couple of minutes to centre the red laser spot. Then centring the primary took another couple of minutes. The primary is held by a set of thre "knobs" and when these are loosned, another set of 3 knobs allows minute movement of the primary. Good collimation seemed to be simple and quick. We will re collimate when outside for "first light" - hopefully very soon.

We intend to use this for some Public Outreach / sidewalk astronomy in the more salubrious parts of Glasgow.

Attached are a couple of piccies. The guy on the right is also an SGL member "The Big Man Says"

Tom

Hi Tom

I look forward to having a peek through it at some point in the not too distant future. Am I right that the first outreach event is the solar one towards the end of this month in the botanic gardens? I think I might be away that weekend, more's the pity.

Cheers, Martin

Nice one ! I got one of these from FLO a few weeks ago and it's a fantastic scope. You are really gonna be treated when you start some light gathering. I don't know if it's the same for you but I was pleasantly surprised when I used the focuser to find Skywatcher now have a crayford as standard on their 250PX :wink:

Vega

Hi Tom

I look forward to having a peek through it at some point in the not too distant future. Am I right that the first outreach event is the solar one towards the end of this month in the botanic gardens? I think I might be away that weekend, more's the pity.

Cheers, Martin

Aye, first outreach is "Sun in Bloom" on the 16th September.

But we will see you on the 20th at the first lecture.

At that meeting details of all our members' and outreach events will be given, so the Dob will come out to play quite a lot over the next few months.

Tom

Nice one ! I got one of these from FLO a few weeks ago and it's a fantastic scope. You are really gonna be treated when you start some light gathering. I don't know if it's the same for you but I was pleasantly surprised when I used the focuser to find Skywatcher now have a crayford as standard on their 250PX :wink:

Vega

Yeah, the focuser is surprisingly smooth and pleasant to use - can't wait for some decent weather to take it out to play.

Tom

Attached are a couple of piccies. The guy on the right is also an SGL member "The Big Man Says"

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16829.0;attach=8437;image

I've heard Glasgow is allegedly full of hard-men, but that lady in the middle has swords sticking out of her head!!

:wink:

Chris

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16829.0;attach=8437;image

I've heard Glasgow is allegedly full of hard-men, but that lady in the middle has swords sticking out of her head!!

:wink:

Chris

Yes - It is a local remedy for a headache - saves on the Aspirin.

Tom

Hi Tom

Yup, realised it was the 16th when I got home and found the flier. I should be able to make that. Give me a shout if I can do anything to help or if I should turn up early, otherwise I'll just come along at 1pm.Looking forward to seeing a PST in action. :sunny:

Martin

Just come along Martin, it will be good to see you. We should have the PST on an HEQ5 Pro + an LX90 with white light solar filter. We will be based just inside - or preferably outside - if it is Sunny :sunny: the Kibble Palace. If the weather is poor we will do a wee Astro workshop or small presentation to the Public. A few of us are meeting on Thursday evening for a planning session - along with Alec MacKinnon from DACE.

Tom

Archived