Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cloud investigations

Kaptain Klevtsov

As the pesky things have taken up permanent residence and I have a profound urge to shoot them, I thought I might get by just by doing it in the photographic sense of the word. Here are the plans, not even half baked, but its not something I know a lot about yet.

Plan A

Green laser strapped onto the 'scope piggy - back style. A high Mag. image should show the cloud range by parallax. A long distance cloud should put the laser dot closer to the CCD centre than a closer cloud. This way I can measure the cloud heights.

Plan B

Same green laser setup, but the camera has a prism in front of it. Using this kit I can measure the velocity of the cloud along the laser / scope axis as the dot will move according to the redshift of the cloud. This might not be readily noticeable, or at least thats what I anticipate, as the clouds are not moving anywhere close to the speed of light. I don't think they are moving at all, but it might be nice to see that they are, in fact, moving.

Any jokes, comments, Plans C through Z, derisive comments etc. would be welcomed.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Archived