Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Counterweight, balance and astrophotography

Hi all !

I'm using a GSO RC8" for shooting, with a 450D DSLR + CCDT67 or TS Flattener.

With this setup, the RC is attached to the scope at the very end of its dovetail.

In order to use a Geoptik polar box, I made myself an axtra counterweight, screwed to a clamp that I can attach underneath the scope, to the front. This allows me to attach the RC is little further forward on the EQ6's dovetail clamp.

But for this, to reach perfect balance, I need to add an extra counterweight to the CW bar. So all in all, it's more stuff to carry, more stuff to mount. So I'm wondering if it's of any importance at all that the RC is attached very near the end of its dovetail. What do you think ? Should I be getting better shooting results with one setup or the other ? Because it adds a few Kg to the setup as well...

Best regards,

I would think that if you have a secure fit of the scope dovetail to the saddle plate then that's good enough. RC's are 'back heavy' so you'll see most hanging at the edge.

If I had to chose between being really out of balance - or in balance but heavier, I'd much rather be heavier. Torque is the quickest killer, and that builds up quickly when the balance is off.

I use my 8", dual plate, SW 80ED guide and all the usual bits and bobs on a HEQ5 having to add one CW - totalling 3. Not ideal but it works just fine.

Wear and tear in the long run would be the issue with pushing things too far I'd assume.

Hi I had this problem with my setup and got a bar of aluminium off Ebay and made an extra long dovetail bar so I can slide scope back and forward to achieve balance without

resorting to more c'weights

Dave

Archived