Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First moon pics with SPC900

Delboy_Hog

Hi All,

Having seen some of the stunning pics on here, I'm a little anxious about sharing mine for the first time, but you've got to take the plunge at some point right?!

Mak 127, and fairly recently acquired SPC900. 30second captures in Sharpcap, followed by some fairly clueless clicking in my first experience of Registax. My word that programme is cool. A blurry, fuzzy picture just pops into a (by my standards) most presentable image with a simple slide of the wavelets tab! Much to learn here as I think I got a bit carried away with the wavelets! Seen a few posts with links to tutorials etc, so I must look these up again.

The seeing was terrible, the moon was low above Leeds city centre, barely an inch away from a street lamp and the scope wasn't aligned so had to keep tracking it across the sky (my word the SPC900 gets you close to the surface...can't wait to try with a barlow :laugh:). So whilst I'm happy to see a big improvement from the old "point a camera down the eye piece, hold your breath and click" method, I know there's lots of room for improvement.

Can't wait to get my kit pointed at the planets...

Capture_30_07_2012_22_23_37.bmp

Capture_30_07_2012_22_26_19.bmp

Not a bad start at all, 2 very good images considering how you took them. Out of the two I prefer the 2nd which looks a lot less processed.

Wait till you get a go of Jupiter, you'll be well and truly hooked :grin:

Hi All,

Having seen some of the stunning pics on here, I'm a little anxious about sharing mine for the first time, but you've got to take the plunge at some point right?!

Mak 127, and fairly recently acquired SPC900. 30second captures in Sharpcap, followed by some fairly clueless clicking in my first experience of Registax. My word that programme is cool. A blurry, fuzzy picture just pops into a (by my standards) most presentable image with a simple slide of the wavelets tab! Much to learn here as I think I got a bit carried away with the wavelets! Seen a few posts with links to tutorials etc, so I must look these up again.

The seeing was terrible, the moon was low above Leeds city centre, barely an inch away from a street lamp and the scope wasn't aligned so had to keep tracking it across the sky (my word the SPC900 gets you close to the surface...can't wait to try with a barlow :laugh:). So whilst I'm happy to see a big improvement from the old "point a camera down the eye piece, hold your breath and click" method, I know there's lots of room for improvement.

Can't wait to get my kit pointed at the planets...

I like the 2nd image.

KE400 is right, wait until you image Jupiter. You'll be grinning like a fool. :laugh:

Thanks guys. Yeah I agree, the first is way over-processed, and as you say, can't wait to get Jupiter in my sights, Saturn too, though it's pretty tricky at the moment and involves me packing all my kit up and travelling for a better view of that horizon. I had so much fun trying to get a reasonable picture by pointing my camera down the eye pieces, I'm really looking forward to the comparison with the webcam.

Woke up at 4.30am this morning and could see Venus and jupiter clearly, but i've got a long few days at work coming up so forced myself to go back to bed...regret it now of course, looking at the forecast it could be a while before I get another chance...Anyway, I'll post the results up when I get some!

Thanks again for looking! :smiley:

Archived