Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Private sale or part exchange?

Shure

I have in the back of my mind that I want to upgrade my 250PX auto to a C9.25 for several reasons.

Is a private sale usually the best way to go about this and if so does anyone have an idea on what my telescope may be worth? I noticed telescope outlet had one recently for £499.

Has anyone had much success with part exchanges with shops? Does anyone else do it apart from astronomia?

Thanks

I have never tried asking if a shop will do part exchange. But then again a lot of my scope kit has been bought used from private sale.

There is a very healthy trade in private sales of decent kit here and on Astro Buy Sell.

I would certainly try the established private sale first as it leaves you free to choose the retailer for the new kit.

Ideally I would prefer to buy from FLO so I guess a private sale would be the only option for that.

I do have a telrad and shroud with it so I suppose those extras would be more appreciated from a private buyer.

I know from a friend that in camera shops the usual practice is to buy in at 1/3rd of retail and resell at 2/3rd's (mint condition item). Not sure if it is the same with scopes, but would assum that it is, so don't expect too much for your scope from a dealer. They also will take into consideration in ther pricing just how quickly they can move you item, so you will get the highest price for stuff they know that they can shift quickly.

Always best to get rid of what you already have at a decent price privately and then get what you need at the cheapest price possible, so I would go for the private sale route personally. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Archived