Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ardunino control of 2nd stepper motor

fwm891

I'm currently using and Arduino Uno and Easydriver (+SGL sketch/codes) to control my focuser. I'm looking to run the scope remotely and need to add a second stepper to control the focus on the OAG camera.

Whats the best way to do this?

Can I use the same Uno via a second easydriver board and a second instance of the SGL code?

Really need an idiots guide here...

Many thanks

Should be Arduino - not sure how to change topic titles....

This is something I have been meaning to do for a while now and not had time.

If you just want manual control then it would be a copy and paste of the code and we could add in another layer of commands for the second focuser.

So duplicate commands referencing another stepper called stepper2 or something. 1 Arduino, 2 easydrivers.

If you want Ascom control then it is programing a Ascom hub instead of just a Ascom focuser. The hub woul use the ascom software driver i already have but use two instances....i have no time for that at the moment which is a shame as i really want to do one. 1 Arduino, 2 easy drivers.

Another option is use 2 arduinos and 2 easy drivers then i can just create a focuser 2 visualbasic program and you use the same Arduino software on each....or if its only manual control connect and disconnect to the different boards and control one at a time.

The easiest way is probably using a 2nd Arduino. They are really cheap. And the 2nd EasyDriver and stepper and so on you would need anyway. The 2 Arduinos would then have 2 separate COM ports and you could just run 2 instances on the PC. The only problem I could see with that is if Neil's PC side software would access the same saved settings from both instances. If it saves settings to a file, you might get away with having 2 copies of the software in 2 separate folders, each having its own settings file. It will be more complicated if Neil saves the settings in the Registry.

The easiest way is probably using a 2nd Arduino. They are really cheap. And the 2nd EasyDriver and stepper and so on you would need anyway. The 2 Arduinos would then have 2 separate COM ports and you could just run 2 instances on the PC. The only problem I could see with that is if Neil's PC side software would access the same saved settings from both instances. If it saves settings to a file, you might get away with having 2 copies of the software in 2 separate folders, each having its own settings file. It will be more complicated if Neil saves the settings in the Registry.

I can just create another Ascom driver with a different name for the 2nd driver.

for the standalone I am in theory using the vb 2010 user parameters but they dont work correctly. I am going to review the parameters and i may just set the defaults i need in the arduino at the start...

I do want 2 focusers running off of 1 arduino though....just for a laugh!

• 7 months later...

I can just create another Ascom driver with a different name for the 2nd driver.

for the standalone I am in theory using the vb 2010 user parameters but they dont work correctly. I am going to review the parameters and i may just set the defaults i need in the arduino at the start...

I do want 2 focusers running off of 1 arduino though....just for a laugh!

Hi all, and thanks for a great project :laugh:

I'm the process of boxing up two focuser controllers, 2 arduinos and 2 EasyDrivers, and it would be just great to be able to connect them both to the :computer: at the same time. Planing on using focusmax.

Is there any update on this topic, is there a second ASCOM driver with a diffrent name?

Regards Tore

Hi all, and thanks for a great project :laugh:

I'm the process of boxing up two focuser controllers, 2 arduinos and 2 EasyDrivers, and it would be just great to be able to connect them both to the :computer: at the same time. Planing on using focusmax.

Is there any update on this topic, is there a second ASCOM driver with a diffrent name?

Regards Tore

We can sort one out quite quickly, i'll upload one tonight.

I was a bit optimistic.....i have a new version of the beta as SGlfocuser2Ascom.

But i want to test it before posting. This will take a while as i don't have much time.

If you want to gamble and try it as is then let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So sorry for this extremely late replay Nick! But the driver installed just fine :laugh: I use ASCOM version 6 (not SP1). I'm just finished with the controllerbox for the second motor, and test both motors with FocusMax at the same time. It looks very good though :smiley: Perfect for my system!!

Feel bad for rushing you when I dont have the time myself, sorry!

No need to feel bad :D

I have two small kids and it gets frustrating that i can't help as much or as quickly as I'd like.

Th software really needs a rework to sort out the ascom settings.

Let me know if there are any problems.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Tapatalk 2

Archived