Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 Counterweights

M4lcs67

Had my first dry run of setting it up today in my living room. Reasuring to know that Celestron are still doing rubbish, amateur instruction manuals though. I like to think I am pretty good at sussing out new pieces of gear (whatever they may be) and telescopes are no exception, but I think Celestron yet again have left out crucial parts of assembly instructions and therefore you are left to work it out for yourself. Goodness only knows what would happen if a complete novice got their hands on it. They would struggle big time.

One thing that is not open to question however is the build quality. The tripod, mount and ota are built like an outside privvy. Don't think i'll need my anti vibration pads with this one. Will be a trip to B&Q for a couple of plastic tool boxes so I can store the smaller pieces more easily. I will then be able to carry the individual parts into the garden in manageable pieces and set it up there.

One other thing. The CG5 box came with 2xcounter weights included in the main box, but I also got another box with an additional weight. On the promotional blurb it shows just two weights. Does anyone who has this set-up know if this is correct and is the 3rd weight required if you use any additional pieces of gear on the scope???? Would love to know.

Well. Tomorrow (weather permitting) i'll be moving into the garden and firing it up. Luckily we are still clouded out, so I am not losing any crucial observing time. Gives me a chance to work out the operation of it (Thanks Celestron, "not" for your lousy instructions)..... I'm sure you will redeem yourselves once I get the scope up and running.

Malc

Hi! I got 3 counter weights also. The C925 requires 2 weights. The third weight may come in to use if you add some extra gear, but at the same time I'm not sure that the mount can handle this much weight.

I aggre with you about the manual. This is my first telescope ever owned and the manual is not very good.

Archived