Buying an eyepiece or eyepiece set ??

Hi guys,i just bought celestron 127/1500 mak SLT,the scope came with 25mm and 9mm...

So i was thinking of buying some new eyepieces or eyepiece set...

So what do you think ?

What eyepieces do you recommend for this scope ?

I was thinking of buying this whole set and here's the link to see it

http://www.astroshop.eu/celestron-eyepiece-and-filter-set-1-25-/p,7976#tab_bar_1_select

So what do you think about this set ?Is it good-bad ?will it serve me ? :)

Or i should buy separate eyepieces...

I was thinking something like 15 or 17mm and 6mm...plossls of course with 52 field of view something like this...

http://www.astroshop.eu/celestron-6mm-omni-eyepiece-1-25-/p,7949#tab_bar_0_select and this http://www.astroshop.eu/celestron-15mm-omni-eyepiece-1-25-/p,7952

I don't think that i need 32mm because i have GoTo system and there's no need for me to search the sky and 25mm that came with the scope serves me well...

So any suggestions ?

Or i should just get x2 barlow ? :) as i saw many videos on the net...barlow is not good as single eyepiece

Thanks to all :)

I think it is better to buy individual ep's to suit your viewing requirements, if you buy a set there will always be pieces you do not use, especially the colour filters, which in my view add nothing to enhance the viewing of the planets. Look around for better plossls, 5 and 6 element designs are better.

+ 1 for buying individual eyepieces. A barlow lense will double the focal lengths of your ep collection. Some people like a Barlow, some don't. I have heard mixed reviews regarding eyepiece sets, some good, some bad. Also I think buying the odd filter to suit your requirements would be the way to go. I never liked the look of an eyepiece set with every colour of the rainbow filter set included. Personally I think its better to have 3 eyepieces that you use always than a box full with half of them being redundant.

Again, +1 for for buying individual eyepieces. For excellent above-beginner EPs, BSTs, X-Cel LXs, Hyperions and decent quality Plossls seem to get rave reviews. It might be worth your while to go to an astro-club to check out the different types. You might also want to check out Robin's very informative page which I hope he doesn't mind me posting up.

If you have used the scope and managed the alignment with the 25mm easily then OK stick with that, otherwise get a 32mm as this increases the view you have and is useful for locating the initial stars in order to accomplish successful alignment. Goto only works after it is aligned.

As the scope is around f/12 I would be hesitant to get a 6mm it will give 250x and I doubt the scope will deliver the images you are expecting. I would go for a 8mm and be safe.

May I respectfully suggest you read the sticky on eye pieces, that heads this section of the forum, it is very informative and you will understand what range of powers will suit your scope. You will find that there will be some EP`s in a set which you will not use, and it has oft been said that at the end of the day, after you have gained experience, that the only thing you will keep is the case. Having said that, there are devotees who have quality sets of eyepieces, that find them very acceptable. From my own point of view, buy the best quality individual lenses you can afford, combined with a quality Barlow. If your pocket allows you to go down the TeleVue Powermate route as an alternative to the Barlow, it is worth taking :)

John.

+3 for individual ep's

also think about magnification, many things out there are on a large scale and magnification is not the answer, imagine a real close up of the grand canyon (just dirt) and then the big picture. I went for a large scope but now get as much pleasre from a small scope and wish I could get a wider view in my large 10" . You really only need a few EP's, good ones are better very expensive ones are slightly better still, but the differences are subtle . Patience and experience will help you see more and they're free.

Stevie

Archived