Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first star party, success! (pictures)

i Drew

Thank you for the nice advice i received in the forum, just want to report that it was a success!

Here are some pictures of the site at Mt Tamalpais, CA. Also tried to take a star trail picture.

There were a dozen telescopes, the club were devided into 2 location some went to Yosemite park.

97b9dd48.jpg

e373035b.jpg

e68e6044.jpg

b3e7203a.jpg

I actually wonder why there are red and blue specs...i don't think they're stars.

1338f905.jpg

e5e92d4b.jpg

0392ca8c.jpg

Great photos. It looks like a superb location.

The red and blue specs on the longer exposure images are almost certainly thermal noise from the camera.

It was a really nice location considering it's only 40min away from the city, the low fog cover the light from the city very well, it was pretty dark last night.

Is there a way to reduce the thermal noise so those res and blue spots wont show? Thanks!

I,m not taking the mickey ... but keeping the sensor cold is probably the only way to reduce the noise.

what camera is it ? what exposure time ? what ISO ?

Its my old Canon 30D, I have it on 25 and 400 ISO and just left the bulb on for maybe 10min or more, i'ts my first time doing it I guess I should have lowered the aperture and shorter exposure time? ..... Oh and mickey?

Its my old Canon 30D, I have it on 25 and 400 ISO and just left the bulb on for maybe 10min or more, i'ts my first time doing it I guess I should have lowered the aperture and shorter exposure time? ..... Oh and mickey?

Sorry , taking the Mickey is an English term meaning to ridicule someone in a friendly humerous manner !

Maybe try turning the cameras noise reduction off and do the noise reduction afterwards with a software ? as you can see i'm clearly no expert ! just trying to be helpful :rolleyes:

hope you dont mind, I've copied one of the pics and used a program called neat image on it to give you an idea

post-21341-0-50439200-1342991979_thumb.j

post-21341-0-40582100-1342991995_thumb.j

Archived