spectacles

This may sound a strange question but should I use spectacles when looking through the eyepiece

I do need glasses for reading and so does it follow I need them to see sharply through my new telescope a Meade 102mm APO (waiting for clear skies!)

Thanks in advance

You can adjust the focus on your scope to suit your eyes. My better half takes her glasses off to view and everytime I follow her at the eyepiece I'm reminded of the difference in our eyes cos I have to refocus so much lol. But equally you can use glasses too - I guess it's more of a comfort and personal preference thing. I have readers but never use them for viewing - only to read the handset :)

The focus of the scope will allow you to compensate for short or long sightedness, so you don't have to wear your glasses, and indeed arguably it's better to not wear them so you take that piece of glass out of the optical train and avoid issues with eye relief. However as brantuk mentioned, if you're sharing the scope with others then wearing your glasses can avoid the need to refocus.

The scope will not compensate for astigmatism, so if your eyes are astigmatic you may want to observe with glasses on.

For what it's worth, my mum has short-sightedness and astigmatism and viewed the Venus transit and sunspots with her glasses off. She didn't even refocus the scope from how I had it! (I'm short-sighted also, though less severely, and haven't owned a pair of glasses for several years.)

The telescope will correct myopia or hyperopia, but not astigmatism. I have severe myopia, but mild astigmatism, and I always prefer the view without glasses. You can get your eye closer to the eyepiece, making it far more comfortable (for me) and blocking more stray light. Also, the coatings might be fine for daytime use, but they are not really designed for the high demands of astronomical viewing. I'm often bothered by glare and scatter, and can never see as faint.

Convenience is also a big (negative for me) factor. I hate the inconvenience of having to take them off to view and put them on again to look through the finder or do anything else for that matter.

Another factor is eyepiece choice. If you restrict yourself to buying eyepieces to wear with glasses, you have much less choice as you need at least 12mm of eye relief when using glasses.

I would say unless you have astigmatism, use without.

Andrew

The scope will compensate for short or long sight, but the main concern is can you get by when not looking down the scope without the spectacles ?

For actual viewing I would find it more comfortable to take mine off, however once off I have to put them somewhere that is both safe and where I can locate them again in the dark.

It really is that concern that overrides whether or not I wear them when looking.

Whatever you decide I would suggest that for any future eyepiece purchase that you consider eyepieces with good eye relief and windup eyecups as these will allow you to do either.

I wear glasses but not for observing, i find they get in the way and can let stray light in. If someone else wants a look through the scope and have to refocus it that's no big deal. I once thought about using contact lenses (but not for long) :smiley: :smiley:

Archived