NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

oldie but goodie

Antscope

A friend who's into astrophotography invited me over to try his eyepiece collection whilst he gathered photons on his driveway, and I quote "come over and try them, they dont get out much.." so after setting up I pointed the scope at saturn and tried the 4.8mm, I used one of saturns moons to get as close to focus as I could, then as the seeing cleared up..bang the detail hits you, its a beautiful little eyepiece, its a magical little keyhole with an expansive field and wonderful contrast, the gap between saturn and its rings was inky black and razor sharp, he offered up an old orion plossl 5.9mm I think, that offered views that where stable due to the lower mag, that too was an impressive little eyepiece with a cool tone, through the course of the night I went through a 22mm nagler a 15mm 82* meade, was a productive night having the opportunity to experience different eyepieces, especially for my friend who got a great shot of M57 with his swanky cannon 60da. I always keep my eye on the used market for ep's and bits and bobs, a series 1 4.8mm nagler became available so luckily I was in the right place at the right time and its on its way, looking forward to trying it on other targets :cool:

yeah it was nice to try out that range of eyepieces for sure, the colour rendition of single stars and huge field in the meade and the 22mm nagler was gorgeous.

My friends shot of m57 was awesome, a 15th magnitude galaxy way resolved in the frame.

The Meade ep framed the dumbell nicely, with the UHC it was enhanced a great deal.

One of the guys in our club Dave suggested we have an "eyepiece workshop" night so everyone can experience whats possible with different eps and gear etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The eyepiece arrived, tried it out on the moon, its a great little eyepiece, very sharp with a wide field of view, picked up some amazing detail, I didnt get to try it on any other planets, the next day I gave it a clean up and the eye lense and the field lense came up beautifully, the coatings are in perfect shape which is amazing given the age of the eyepiece, I believe it to be one of the earlier type as the coatings are purple and brown, the brown colour reminds me of the zeiss microscope eyepiece coatings.

Looking forward to trying it on more targets, very pleased with it so far.

I used to have the 4.8mm and 7mm Type 1 Naglers. They were my 1st Naglers in fact. They performed very well and convinced me that ultra wide eyepieces were what way I wanted to go. The eye relief was a little tight on the 4.8mm I seem to recall but it was very sharp.

For what it's worth, Roland Christen, the man behind the almost legendary Astro Physics company, still uses a 4.8mm Nagler for critical testing of scopes I understand.

Hey John, yes the eye relief is tight but I can live with that, keeping my eye out for the 7mm, the level of light transmission surprised me given the amount of elements involved, and there's so much field in such a small focal length..its my poor mans 4.7mm ethos 110* :grin: looking at the edge of the moon where details of crater rims are lit perfectly, I got some awesome views, not bad for $135 dollars, I dont think I'll ever sell this little beauty.

Archived