NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Largest OTA to fit a 130p synscan goto mount.

Joguj

Just wondering whether I can practically use a bigger OTA on my current goto mount. I realise it's limitations but could a 150 or even 200 be used on it? I never extend the legs anyway and weigh it down so it doesn't seem too wobbly.

You'll find that a bigger ota will foul the mount the 150 will foul and a 200 p would foul and topple it over!!!

The only other ota that would fit is the 127 mak

I have the 127 mak on the same alt/az goto I also have a 200p on a heq5 and believe me there's no way it would go

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi,

I replaced the plastic tray on my tripod with a round heavy wooden board. Actually, it was a round chopping board about 30mm thick and really strengthened up the tripod. I also drilled and pop riveted the top in the legs in six places per leg, again this took out all of the slop.

However, I still wouldn't have carried any bigger scope than the one supplied. The Skywatcher packages are good value for money with good optics, but they don't build any spare capacity in to the mount, unless you buy the mount and OTA separately. You probably won't damage the mount, using a 180 or 200mm, but it probably won't track very well.

I think you'd need a more substantial mount if you want to go for a bigger OTA. I've had the crazy idea recently of making an adaptor for some 20x80 bins so I can stick them on an Alt/az Goto but I think this might be pushing it.

Thanks all. I had an idea that would be the advice but wanted to check. Best start buttering the wife up for more toys then. I've half a mind to look at the 200 dob but I really do love the goto, bit spoilt by it perhaps.

My personal experience is that the 130p / az goto is maybe a little undermounted or 'over-scoped' , at least for AP webcam as it does tend to wobble.

and, hell yes when you lose the goto, you really miss it!

wah.

Regards

Aenima

Just seen a recent post here comparing the 130p and 200p next to each other by coincidence and I see why it wont work now! Didn't quite imagine the size increase.

I knew it would come in handy for someone somewhere, cheers.

Aenima

I have used my Synscan AZ mount with an ED80 and lately a Kson 1026ED.

Worked perfectly in both cases.

However, I have done alot to tighten things up.

Superglued all joints I don't need to move,

Lowered the centre tray, never extend the legs more than 20cms

and place a 17AH battery on the centre tray.

This is not only the power supply, but a ballast and has a nice flat surafce to

put my EPs on.

I looked at this a few months ago and got the feeling that the 130P was about the max it could handle. I did find a few threads where people said they had used the mount with a 150P but they had all done things to stabilise the tripod which seemed to be the weakest point. I ended up with a 200mm Dob instead as I thought the benefits of moving to a 150mm would be more than offset by the likely instability issues.

Yep well that's sorted then. I'll keep my 130p but a 200mm at least is on the wanted list now. A few bits to hawk on ebay, a bit less spent on the friday afternon pub ritual and a few breakfasts in bed for the wife and I'll be there soon enough.

How do you get on with the dob by the way after coming from a goto?

Yep well that's sorted then. I'll keep my 130p but a 200mm at least is on the wanted list now. A few bits to hawk on ebay, a bit less spent on the friday afternon pub ritual and a few breakfasts in bed for the wife and I'll be there soon enough.

How do you get on with the dob by the way after coming from a goto?

It's a bit like starting again! Unfortunately the weather has been so bad for that past few months I have not had that much practise. I do like the fact that I can just pop it outside for half an hour and then look at something straight away and what I have seen through it though made me glad I had moved up to the 200mm. I have done this a couple of times in the middle of the night when I have woken up and seen it is clear but gave up trying this with the GOTO as it took so long to get everything ready. The difference looking at Saturn was worth the expense on it's own. I have had no problem locating things but moving the scope manually thereafter is obviously an art. I bought secondhand and the base had the lazy Susan mod already fitted which, I am told, is a great advantage.

Hope you manage to save enough for one soon!

Hey there bruce,

Hows things? I was hoping you caught some viewing time last night, I was out for hour or two and it was clear as the proverbial bell. Couldn't believe my luck. Its cloud again now so I'm hoping you had chance to use the dob last night?

All the best,

Jay

Hi,

I replaced the plastic tray on my tripod with a round heavy wooden board. Actually, it was a round chopping board about 30mm thick and really strengthened up the tripod. I also drilled and pop riveted the top in the legs in six places per leg, again this took out all of the slop.

However, I still wouldn't have carried any bigger scope than the one supplied. The Skywatcher packages are good value for money with good optics, but they don't build any spare capacity in to the mount, unless you buy the mount and OTA separately. You probably won't damage the mount, using a 180 or 200mm, but it probably won't track very well.

Hi DrRobin

I'm currently trying to glue my accesory tray support after trying to open a door with the tripod (doh!) whilst carrying it outside already set up.

While its out of commision I want to make it a little steadier, and I was hoping you had any ideas how and where I could improve it.

I take it that once the tripod is solid the actual gears and mount are tight, sturdy and accurate enough to make serious renovations worthwhile?

Regards

Jay

Hi Jay,

Nice to hear from you again. I made a number of mods to my Mak127 tripod when I had it, which improved it considerably. I posted details in the following post

It is post #16 and onwards.

Once done like this, the tripod won't fold up, but I consider that a small sacrifice for the added stiffness that the thick breadboard gave. Simply riveting the legs in three places made a big difference, since with just one bolt they are free to move in at least one direction, two if the bolts aren't tight.

I would imagine your 130 is the same or very similar tripod.

Once modified like this whether or not the mount could carry a bigger load is open to a lot of debate. I would have thought that the mount was near its limit, but with careful balancing in all three axis a bigger scope might be possible.

Hi DrRobin, and thank you for your reply.

I'll check that link out. I did tighten the central bolt in the groove of the dovetail 'recieving' clamp on the mount, where the grip handle is. I had been noticing the slop when the OTA passed vertical and when holding the OTA it had about 8mm 'give' when moved by hand - though through the eyepiece passing apex the 'free fall' appeared bigger - now it feels solid in my hands but havent tried the OTA on it yet as the glue on tripod is drying.

I appreciate the advice and link, I wont be trying bigger scopes, just hoping for a more secure mount/tripod for my 130p.

Thanks again

Regards

Jay

Archived