Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Burgess Optical wide field eyepieces?

I'm thinking of replacing my 5mm TMB with a couple of these:

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it120003.htm

The 8mm and 12mm look like they'd be good for my setup.

I have a celestron C8 SCT with 20mm and 10mm 1.25" widefield EPs, 2" 26mm and 15mm EPs, and cheapo celestron 4mm, 6mm and 15mm plossls.

I also have Meade 2X and 3X Barlows.

I think the 8mm and 12mm from Burgess would fill a gap in my EP case! ANy thoughts on that, and the general quality of these eyepieces?

If by '5mm TMB' you mean one of these then you will find the cheaper Burgess wide angles disappointing. There is only so much £25-35 will buy. HTH.

Better I think to put together three good (£60-70) eyepieces or perhaps two and a barlow?

If by '5mm TMB' you mean one of these then you will find the cheaper Burgess wide angles disappointing. There is only so much £25-35 will buy. HTH.

Better I think to put together three good (£60-70) eyepieces or perhaps two and a barlow?

Yeah that's the TMB EP I'm replacing. I actually sent you an email a couple of days ago about 8mm TMB's or Hyperions...

Thanks Steve. I may well go for another TMB to replace the 5mm one.

Do you carry those other ones I mentioned in the original post? I don't see them on your website, but you do stock Burgess stuff?

The thing is, I've had more expensive eyepieces in the past and don't see any benefit from them. I'm quite happy to get some cheaper EPs until I learn more about the hobby, like how to "see" properly and such.

I'm not really sure what to do yet.

Your C8 has a narrow light cone so just about anything looks good through it. If you had something like an f4 or f5 scope you would need to be more selective in your choice of eyepieces. There is no wrong choice between the Burgess/TMB planetarys, Hyperions or the Meade series 5000 Super Plossls. As mentioned, the Hyperions are quite large/heavy for thier focal lengths so unless you see yourself using them for afocal photography (adapter ring required) then I would favour the Burgess/TMB or Meades (the Burgess/TMB have more eye-relief) for their compact size. Three from the same family would be ideal as they will be parfocal.

If your looking for a set of cheap eyepieces, the Revelation ep set is unbeatable for the price and will work well in your C8

HTH

Do you carry those other ones I mentioned in the original post? I don't see them on your website, but you do stock Burgess stuff?

Yes, FLO can supply anything Burgess. The ones you mention aren't listed as I have not had an opportunity to evaluate them. I will make a point of looking them over when I next visit the importers.

Yes, FLO can supply anything Burgess. The ones you mention aren't listed as I have not had an opportunity to evaluate them. I will make a point of looking them over when I next visit the importers.

Okay, ta! I'll have a hunt round the net for reviews/opinions on them before I make my choice.

Okay, ta! I'll have a hunt round the net for reviews/opinions on them before I make my choice.

They have four elements and give a 60 degrees FOV. My guess is that they'll be 'OK' in your C8 but would struggle with anything much under f6

I have tried the 17mm Burgess Wide Angle and it was OK but nothing special - I thought the 15mm Skywatcher UWA that I had at the time was a better performer. At that time I was using the eyepieces in an F10 Celestron C5 which was not too fussy.

From reading posts on other astro sites the 9mm version of the orginal Skywatcher UWA range is supposed to be pretty good, even in shortish focal length scopes - might be worth considering one of those.

John

I have tried the 17mm Burgess Wide Angle and it was OK but nothing special - I thought the 15mm Skywatcher UWA that I had at the time was a better performer. At that time I was using the eyepieces in an F10 Celestron C5 which was not too fussy.

From reading posts on other astro sites the 9mm version of the orginal Skywatcher UWA range is supposed to be pretty good, even in shortish focal length scopes - might be worth considering one of those.

John

Thanks for the idea John. Had a look for a Skywatcher one and they come in around £40. The good thing with the Burgess is that I could get TWO for £50.

That said, I'm thinking I'll probably end up just going for the TMB planetary.

No rush though, I have a good enough range of EPs along with my two barlows, that I can take a bit of time to decide. :wink:

Archived