Barnard 72, Snake Nebula.

ollypenrice

Dedicated to my favourite astronomer, E.E. Barnard, this one was taken with an Altair Astro F7 102 triplet and Atik 4000 mono on our EM200 mount. A messy capture! This object is very low indeed in Ophiuchus and is slow, being dark. Thin streaks of low horizon cloud kept getting in the way while a few degrees higher the sky was perfect! Red 130 mins, Green 70 mins, Blue 120 mins. I saw no point in going for luminance since the picture is either of stars or of dust, neither of which benefit from an L layer. All subs were 10 minutes unbinned.

Meanwhile, at an observatory less than three metres away, interesting things were being experimented with by my crazy collaborator, more of which in due course...

Olly

B72-SNAKE-ALTAIR-TRIPLET-XL.jpg

Another beauty Olly. It is a tricky object, dark as you say. Do you not think the Lum layer helps to bring out the dark dust. That last sentance sounds like tautology though.

Also did you do DBE on this? I'm working on this area a bit at the moment, and I don't know what to do with DBE. There is just no background sky to place a marker on.

T.

Another beauty Olly. It is a tricky object, dark as you say. Do you not think the Lum layer helps to bring out the dark dust. That last sentance sounds like tautology though.

Also did you do DBE on this? I'm working on this area a bit at the moment, and I don't know what to do with DBE. There is just no background sky to place a marker on.

T.

Hi Tom, I thought I got the idea of not shooting Lum on low targets from you?? I reckon most of the noise is colour noise on dark dust patches so I decided to put the time in on that.

I did use DBE. In fact I used it twice, once on the linear image and again on the partly processed one. I used Pixinsight's auto-generate tool and it found dark sky and did wonders. I had horrible gradients from the tree skimming elevation and low cloud plus a bad green flat which I haven't looked into yet. I'm rushing because the picture is needed for an article!

Olly

I'm trying to rmember my rules f or low elevaion shooting. Think there are only 2. no binning, and no pics when the object is under 20 degrees. My Rho Lum was always ok, the colour frames did give me problems though. I'll practice that auto generate in PixIsight. When I was doing it I think I was selecting the dark dust lanes, which was messing things up.

T.

Very nice, Olly. I started enjoying chasing dark nebula last year in France. I must check my logs to see if I got this one in the bins.

They are great, the dark nebulae, I agree. Last night I started on the Sagittarius Star Cloud (M24) with a couple more Barnards on the edge. I love them!

Olly

Lovely image! Especially considering the troubles you were having, though at least your clouds are only "low horizon" rather than everywhere!

I guess it's that dust making all the stars appear yellow?

Lovely image! Especially considering the troubles you were having, though at least your clouds are only "low horizon" rather than everywhere!

That's it, I think. I've just imaged the nearby Sagittarius star cloud and, last month, the Sagittarius Triplet. The dust and golden stars are everywhere.

Olly

Archived